Old 03-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Default seat cover replacement help needed - wire

Just stripped down the rear seat on my 68 rag top,Buckets will be next after the rear is done . The factory uses some type of wire inserted into a pocket for the hog rings to hold more securely . I saw a video where the installer inserted a wire as well. Is this necessary since some areas do not have a channel or pocket to do so ?

Old 03-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if the '68 GTO rear seats are like most rear seats, there are no pockets in them, just hog rings around the perimeter. Most front bucket seats will have pockets running vertically up and down the upper with matching pockets in the lower that help define the side bolsters. You want to reuse the zig-zag style wire from the old pockets. You definitely want to ring the pockets top to bottom or the covers will not look right or stay in place well. I would recommend new seat foams/buns if your original front buckets foams are rotten or badly worn. The new covers on old seat foams will not look their best.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I'll add is that the zigzag wires tend to rust and eat into the cloth. When I re-upholster the seats I jacket those wires with shrink tubing after wire wheeling the rust off of them.