The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Default 66 gto, replacing the stapled rubber on the inner fenders

I am trying to make my project correct so I am now begining to replace the large rubber dust shields on each inner fender. They came with new staples but looking for any advice from someone whom may have tackled this one before.

Thanks Hunter

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Morning Hunter:

I've done this before and I simply clamped the rubber flaps to the corresponding area on the inner skirt. Since I didn't have a stapler like GM used I used a small drill bit near the size of the original holes in the metal skirt, then popped that thru the rubber. Insert the supplied staple thru the whole works and roll the free ends of the staple with a good pair of needle nose pliars and so on.......

I'm getting ready to do just what you're doing now on the inner fenders of my 62 Catalina and this is how I'm gonna do it.........hope this helps

Jerry

Old 02-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Also check the staples that came with your rubber pcs. the original were round wire, some of the repops are flat steel like home use staples, I went to the hardware store and bought a roll of round steel wire and made my own. Just take one of your old ones for size.