Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default gto clone

hi
can i easily convert a 68-70 lemans into either a 68-70 gto front? by the looks of it the fenders are the same. and it looks as tho the lemans bonnet can be used.
thanks

Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure. I got tired of everyone asking me what a "CustomS" was? Even had some argue that I made it up, and that Pontiac never made such a car. Half the people called it a GTO anyway.
So now its a GTO "Go To Ohio" LOL
Everybody knows what a GTO is!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Define "easily".

Maybe a 68-69, but 70 GTO uses different fenders, than LeMans, for one thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

IT is very eazy to spot out a fake one, All 68 gtos with ac had tented windows, And open the trunk you will see the holes in the quater panels not a gto,If thay dont have the crome under the bumper on the valance is a tale sign also.The back tale lights is a dead give away also.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda thought he was refering to changing a 68 lemans into 68 gto, 69 lemans into 69 gto, and a 70 lemans into a 70 gto which is done all the time.
As far as holes go a good bodyman with a mig welder and you can't tell where the holes were inside or out.
So its very hard to tell a good fake other than the vin.
As far as tinted windows go all cars in that era with factory air came with tinted windows. It helps keep the car interior cooler.
The cars were all built on the same line.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Clone?

I agree.... the ONLY tell tale sign is the VIN. Even on a '70 as fenders can be changed.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
IT is very eazy to spot out a fake one, All 68 gtos with ac had tented windows, And open the trunk you will see the holes in the quater panels not a gto,If thay dont have the crome under the bumper on the valance is a tale sign also.The back tale lights is a dead give away also.
Not if it is done correctly. Know what you are doing before you start, and don't do it half a$$. A nice car can look silly real fast if not done right, as stated above.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
...all LeMans and Tempests that had a/c came with tinted glass as well. Tinted glass was an option without a/c as well. So that proves nothing.

...anyone who is capable of filling the exterior side of the holes is then also capable if filling the inside holes.

...The valance chrome for a 68 is not reproduced, original pieces are very hard to find as the pot-metal didn't hold up. There are alot of very nice GTO's out there without those moldings.

...68 tail light lenses and buckets are readily available and inexpensive.

I don't believe the original poster was out to screw anyone, or fool anyone. For the record, the 68 is easiest to clone. Really only needing the nose, hood, tail lights and emblems reworked. The valance and marker lights, front and rear, are the same. 69's would be second easiest, requiring a different front valance and lights and the rear marker lamps welded up and then re-cut. The 70 needs most of the above plus front fenders and the rear valance changed. build what you want and enjoy it.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post

...The valance chrome for a 68 is not reproduced, original pieces are very hard to find as the pot-metal didn't hold up. There are alot of very nice GTO's out there without those moldings.
Looks like the valance chrome is being reproduced now. Not cheap by any means (@400) though. Different company from our board sponsor though so not sure if it's okay to list their name. One of the other big companies.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
Looks like the valance chrome is being reproduced now. Not cheap by any means (@400) though. Different company from our board sponsor though so not sure if it's okay to list their name. One of the other big companies.
That must be a small run of those at that cost! I guess all of my 68's will be going a little longer with the bast Tempest look! Maybe there are folks who will think i'm trying to clone a tempest!

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
...all LeMans and Tempests that had a/c came with tinted glass as well. Tinted glass was an option without a/c as well. So that proves nothing.

...anyone who is capable of filling the exterior side of the holes is then also capable if filling the inside holes.

...68 tail light lenses and buckets are readily available and inexpensive.

I don't believe the original poster was out to screw anyone, or fool anyone. For the record, the 68 is easiest to clone. Really only needing the nose, hood, tail lights and emblems reworked. The valance and marker lights, front and rear, are the same. 69's would be second easiest, requiring a different front valance and lights and the rear marker lamps welded up and then re-cut. The 70 needs most of the above plus front fenders and the rear valance changed. build what you want and enjoy it.
And a rear bumper.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

rear bumper is the same for gto's, lemanses and tempests for each year...

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
I think Paul was right. Instead of reproducing it, they made a piece that's an inch too short. I think it fits a Crosley.

"It won't take long, and it won't cost much."
Old 01-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
rear bumper is the same for gto's, lemanses and tempests for each year...
Not the buckets for the tale light tho. i can rant on and on but i can tell a real one, I have owned mine all the way back to 1974. Let us be friends, Do you have any 68 parts for sale?

Last edited by cuz68; 01-20-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

1970 uses different hood, fenders, valance, dash, doorpanels, seatcovers. None of it cheap, and the repros are not recommended. These days, might be cheaper to buy the whole real car.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic17 View Post
1970 uses different dash, doorpanels, seatcovers... and the repros are not recommended. These days, might be cheaper to buy the whole real car.
I don't mean to seem argumentative.. but NO,NO and NO! From it's inception, the GTO was outfitted with a LEMANS interior. Quality of the reproduction parts are just fine... almost every single REAL GTO on the road is using them... Do you think all these cars being restored have original interiors? Seriously?

Tail light buckets are cheap and not part of the bumper... Do I have 68 parts? A few

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM
Senior Chief

If Custer would have had as many wagons as Paul has GTOs, history would have been re-written...

"It won't take long, and it won't cost much."
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lemans were the same as GTO'S, just had less horsepower but the same old cr@ppy brakes! (LOL)

Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't mean to seem argumentative.. but NO,NO and NO! From it's inception, the GTO was outfitted with a LEMANS interior. Quality of the reproduction parts are just fine... almost every single REAL GTO on the road is using them... Do you think all these cars being restored have original interiors? Seriously?

Tail light buckets are cheap and not part of the bumper... Do I have 68 parts? A few
The LeMans interior with wood grain was the Decor Group, if I remember correctly.

Holes in valance for chrome
Door panels
Dash (slate blue versus woodgrain on GTO)
Door lock knobs were black
Automatic trans shifters different on GTO
trunk emblem holes on trunk lid
bumper/grill/headlight bezels

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)