THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
Bill Hickman drove the Charger in Bullitt, The Lemans for Gene Hackman in The French Connection, and the Grandville in this movie. The top stunt driver at the time IMO. My favorite part of this chase was the Grandville driving through the roadblock with the two Chevies, knocking them completely out of the way. My second favorite part of this was the Grandville knocking the 67' Plymouth police car with its annoying siren into the path of a Chevelle. There were plenty of other Pontiacs in this movie as well. A couple of new Catalinas, a few new Safari wagons, and even a 73 Lemans (during the chase) that they passed a couple of times.
Bill Hickman reminds me of the actor that played Dennis the Menace's dad on the TV show.....

anyone else???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
Tony do you have that 68-69 impala with the 427 in it?

Hey Cuz - nope, I sold it to a guy around Morristown about 3 years ago for $2200... it was actually a 69 Caprice 4dr with a 396... I took that $ and bought my 72 Caprice Estate wagon - it has a 402. I regret selling that Caprice 4dr.

That guy drove the Caprice back up here about 5 months later after he bought it to bring my tires back... he had already stripped the vinyl top off and started bodywork. He initially came to look at it for a parts car for his 69 Impala convertible, but once he rode in the Caprice and felt how smooth it was, (not even one squeak or rattle) he fell in love with it and SAID he was going to restore it, but who knows... I have yet to hear back from him or see the car, but that is about 70 miles from here, so if it was still on the road, I would not really know it. Hope its been restored.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
There were plenty of other Pontiacs in this movie as well. A couple of new Catalinas, a few new Safari wagons, and even a 73 Lemans (during the chase) that they passed a couple of times.
Yeah, there is a short scene with a close up of a 73 Grand Safari wagon (non-woodgrain) and before this scene starts it shows that car (with the guy in the trunk "Ken Kercheval") is a 73 Catalina 4dr hardtop... it shows it going through the car wash scene and if you look close, you can see its a high optioned model... even looks to have the auto climate control A/C! They do race it out of the car wash lot and into the parking garage, but they dont really trash it except when the shoot the trunk lock.

That Grand Ville in this movie was a very high optioned car as well... even had the "sway bars" you will notice on some of the shots of the back.

Oh speaking of the French Connection, I have never seen it, but on the automotive IMDB it shows a pic from that movie and it looks like the same Grand Ville in a chase scene... I wonder if those were same shots from that movie?

I could have used that weather stripping and some of that bright trim off of that Grand Ville for my car.. lol.

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 12-22-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Bill Hickman reminds me of the actor that played Dennis the Menace's dad on the TV show.....

anyone else???
your right!

Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is another one I like with a new 73 Chevy Impala and a nearly new 72 Cadillac DeVille and a late 60s Mopar...

BTW - my very first car was identical to that 72 Cadillac... even the same color! (that was in 1992)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2IQfxg2rN4

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 12-25-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
A Chevy pickup keeping up with a Trans Am, give me a break!
Yes - with 2 equal Stunt Drivers the Trans Am should easily make a couple of moves on that pickup and be gone Whatever he had under the hood - but they had to make ( THE DRIVER ) Look good .

Old 12-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cars pics from the movie...
http://www.imcdb.org/movie_70672-The-Seven-Ups.html

Old 12-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, there is a short scene with a close up of a 73 Grand Safari wagon (non-woodgrain) and before this scene starts it shows that car (with the guy in the trunk "Ken Kercheval") is a 73 Catalina 4dr hardtop... it shows it going through the car wash scene and if you look close, you can see its a high optioned model... even looks to have the auto climate control A/C! They do race it out of the car wash lot and into the parking garage, but they dont really trash it except when the shoot the trunk lock.

That Grand Ville in this movie was a very high optioned car as well... even had the "sway bars" you will notice on some of the shots of the back.

Oh speaking of the French Connection, I have never seen it, but on the automotive IMDB it shows a pic from that movie and it looks like the same Grand Ville in a chase scene... I wonder if those were same shots from that movie?

I could have used that weather stripping and some of that bright trim off of that Grand Ville for my car.. lol.
Couldnt have been same car. French Connection was in 1971, the 7 Ups were in 1973. There used to be a lot of full size Pontiacs around everywhere until the "Gas crisises", even when they didnt purposly use them in movies, you could see them quite frequently in the background. By the way, there are 2 nice 61' Pontiac ambulances in "The Disorderly Orderly" (1964) with Jerry Lewis.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Couldnt have been same car. French Connection was in 1971, the 7 Ups were in 1973. There used to be a lot of full size Pontiacs around everywhere until the "Gas crisises", even when they didnt purposly use them in movies, you could see them quite frequently in the background. By the way, there are 2 nice 61' Pontiac ambulances in "The Disorderly Orderly" (1964) with Jerry Lewis.
Yeah and went back and looked, someone had posted the wrong title on the car pic. lol.

oh, here is that 73 Grand Safari that had a small part in the movie 7-Ups...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73grandsafari.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	228950  

My cars (or should I say "TANKS") -
72' Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate 3-seat wagon (402)
73' Pontiac Grand Ville Custom 4dr hdtp (455)
90' Buick Century Custom 4dr sedan (3.3L)
95' Lincoln Town Car Signature Series (4.6L)
Old 12-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny they just had a special on Speed TV last night about great movie car chases. I had never heard of the 7ups movie until last night, now I am trying to see if I can get it thru Netflix or rent it at Blockbuster.

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 12-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

French Connection car chase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu3GmRQ-U9k This car is a four door Tempest or Lemans.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The French Connection cars...
http://www.imcdb.org/movie.php?id=67116

Old 12-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
your right!

I don't think he spoke a word in Bullit, if he had yelled "Dennis" one time in Bullit, we'd have known it was him...........LOL

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-27-2010, 02:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JOHN View Post
Funny they just had a special on Speed TV last night about great movie car chases. I had never heard of the 7ups movie until last night, now I am trying to see if I can get it thru Netflix or rent it at Blockbuster.

I bought a copy on DVD at Wal-Mart in that $5.00 movie bin last year! They may have them on their website.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just wish mine was the same blue color as the Grand Ville in the movie... mine is that 70s dark brown... also the one in the movie has the cornering lights option.

This is a pic of my 73 Grand Ville taken in October of 2010. Mine originally had the standard hubcaps (which I still have), but I put on these finned hubcaps which were optional. I was going to put the originals back on, but I have apparently lost one somehow.

I do like this lighter brown of the one in the ad... one color is burma brown, one is burnt umber or something like that, I cant remember, lol. I think mine is the burma brown.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

* also if you look at that clip in 7-ups, between 9-16 seconds in the video clip (when the car is bouncing out of the parking garage ), it appears as if the Grand Ville has dual exhaust! I think that was an option on those? I know mine is only single exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY

Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Yeah and went back and looked, someone had posted the wrong title on the car pic. lol.

oh, here is that 73 Grand Safari that had a small part in the movie 7-Ups...
The 73 Grand Safari wagon in the movie appears to be the "burma brown" which is the color as my Grand Ville, which is also very close to the color of my 72 Chevy Kingswood Estate wagon, which on the Chevy was called "golden brown".

Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Howabout the beginning of Live and Let Die with every car on the expressway being a 73 Impala/Caprice/Biscayne or some other 73 GM car?!!

Yep! I remember that. I loved that movie... so ironic all of them were new 73 Chevys... I think there was that one pimped 73 Caddy.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I just wish mine was the same blue color as the Grand Ville in the movie... mine is that 70s dark brown... also the one in the movie has the cornering lights option.

This is a pic of my 73 Grand Ville taken in October of 2010. Mine originally had the standard hubcaps (which I still have), but I put on these finned hubcaps which were optional. I was going to put the originals back on, but I have apparently lost one somehow.

I do like this lighter brown of the one in the ad... one color is burma brown, one is burnt umber or something like that, I cant remember, lol. I think mine is the burma brown.

Nice car! It looks like the kind of car just about every "bad guy" drove
on just about every 70s TV show.....Cool!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack776 View Post
Nice car! It looks like the kind of car just about every "bad guy" drove
on just about every 70s TV show.....Cool!
lol, thanks. Its been one of the most reliable trouble free cars I have EVER owned, no joke. If that 455 just didnt use so much gas. lol.