THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found Tyler W's comments (both on the 66 and Bonneville) to be as though he was trying to pick a fight. In the end, all he did was make himself look like a jacka$$, enjoy your Mopar Tyler, we Darksiders don't need guys like you anyway.

I just bought a 67 Catalina 4dr sedan (the least popular bodystyle). I bought it because it was inexpensive, low mileage (53K), and it satisfies my desire to own a 60s big Pontiac. It has dings on about every corner from the original lady owner and minor rust but I think it is cool. I plan to get her painted, repair the driver's side of the seat, and enjoy it. If I get more into it than it is worth, I don't care, that's not why I bought it anyway.

-Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 12-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting thread....not sure where to start....
Investments in cars, never was a good idea, ever. We just got lucky a few years ago and now that seems to have corrected. NObody's buying nothing now.

EXCEPT the B-J people looking for rare AND desirable cars. Rare doesn't cut it alone, neither does desirable, has to be both.

Go to any American brand except Lincoln/Cadillac and the like, for a 60's era car the intermediates do better than the full size.

As for interest in big Pontiacs, you missed the mark on your assessment that nobody cares. We do. And we usually have a bunch of them.

You did step on a few toes on the first post, so I guess you should expect some return fire. Right?

As for car buying and selling....When I try to buy, the seller thinks it's gold. When I sell the buyer thinks it's crap. Same goes with everything, be it cars, parts, bowling balls or knick knacks. It's just the dance you do.

So just find something easier to sell if you want to make money. But whatever you choose you still have to hustle it....ever wonder why they use that term for sales???

But really, dont be walking in our little clubhouse, no matter how petty or pathetic you think it might be, and gripe about us. After all if you got a bad meal at a diner woudl you go back out of your way to complain? Just walk away.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Vrabec View Post
After all if you got a bad meal at a diner woudl you go back out of your way to complain? Just walk away.

Not only that, using your analogy, he's not complaining to the management or the chef, he's complaining to the other customers...as if it's their fault.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Keith I'd raise hell over bad food.

But I'd have done my market research before buying either of Tyler's cars.
I'd love to have that 77 but I'm broke and in the minority. Great drivers with a powerplant and 77-91 P/I suspension.
That 66 would do better as a cop car clone I think.

Tyler your attitude sucks. Buck up and deal with the fact you don't make money on every deal you do. It's not the buyers fault and that's the first lesson of business.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, why even have a Big Pontiacs for sale forum?? Because there are a lot of people who are interested in buying Big Pontiacs. You just have to have one that people actually are interested in buying!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
"Turd"..? Really? That's funny, that's the same thing we called '76 and up TAs when they were a few years old and cheap, rich guy.
Yea my '76 is a slow ass turd that I bought cheap.... at least it doesn't look like something that grandma or someone from a ghetto ethnic group would drive. Rich guy???? LMFAO... I live in a rental house...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Ghetto Grandma drives a Chevy.

She wouldn't buy a Pontiac!

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's my garage:

Guess which car mostly sits, and which car I drive the wheels off of?

(lol)

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-25-2010, 02:46 PM

Tyler,

As you may have guessed by now attitude doesn't go well around here, don't know many places or people where it does. If you are dissatisfied with this Forum, you should find another where your attitude will be appreciated.

Jack.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerW View Post
Thanks for the interesting or rude, and in a couple cases, useless comments.

There is no BAD news. I sold this car a while back. The only part that I am..what was the phrase... "stomping my feet over" is that nobody on this board deigned to fork out $800 for this car. That's what it sold for. It sold to some guy who there's no idea how it'll be cared for.

Secondly..I said INVESTMENT. Let's define invest: Invest means, in simple terms, to convert cash into material goods. In this case, it wasn't a good investment because I lost about..oh..300 bucks. Now, nobody needs to come offer the noob(that damn low post count..dammit!) a shoulder to cry on and your hanky. I reinvested the money in something else that's sure to RETAIN it's value.

Now...the part that I never said, but obviously was interpreted as such was, make a PROFIT on. I would have liked to, but I was up against a time constraint and had to sell.

I saw a comment about that "dirty carpet" and that replacing that would have netted a few hundred more. No, it wouldn't have. All that would have achieved would be to move comments onto the dent in the RF, or the faded taillight trim, or the wrong hubcap, yadda yadda.

The NHRA tag. I agree, it should have been one of those "Let me tell you about my grandchildren" tags.

"It would have sold had it been exposed to more than PY". It was.

Anyway, I guess you guys all have enough dough rolling around that you see people selling cheap cars as a source of amusement. Glad you got a laugh out of it before you sat down and deducted $5000 out of your checking account for your garage queen's new paint job.

To conclude, don't post anymore dumb comments. The car is gone, none of you have it, it went to a bro, you caused that, not I. I tried here first. Oh well, bye Bonneville.
You're terrible at investing then. You purchased the wrong car to invest at the wrong time to invest in the wrong economy to invest. It baffles me that you actually had the thought that that particular car would net you any sort of "investment".

Old 12-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dark days of full size GM for sure. I remember almost
hurling my lunch when I saw the first 77 full size GM's and how boxy, boring and utilitarian they were to become.

They offered nothing for a car lover and the pokey engine/trans lineup matched the complete absence of styling. The only thing the factory forgot was a vomit scented air freshener.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If anyone has any big 4-door 65-76 Bonnevilles or 4dr 71-75 Grand Villes (or Safari wagons) they dont want, send them my way.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
The dark days of full size GM for sure. I remember almost
hurling my lunch when I saw the first 77 full size GM's and how boxy, boring and utilitarian they were to become.

They offered nothing for a car lover and the pokey engine/trans lineup matched the complete absence of styling. The only thing the factory forgot was a vomit scented air freshener.
Not to mention this is the year they started with the Olds engine crap.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Here's my garage:

Guess which car mostly sits, and which car I drive the wheels off of?

(lol)

K
Cool pic, very cool cars......

Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgto View Post
Cool pic, very cool cars......
Thank you very much -

I grew up around this GTO; the Grand Prix is what happened when I tried to step out from under my Dad's shadow and assert my independence...

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems our Pontiac forefathers had an affinity for these big cars as well -

K

Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Keith that is really nice 63 GP, looks almost like mine but no door edge guards.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 69 Catalina I really liked. Should have never sold it. It was white on green interior. I like the 69 front end and the mini endura middle piece. One year only nose, 68's and 70's don't turn me on the same. That 69 front with the fastback roof is killer. Take a 2 door hardtop like I had, lower about and inch and a half on the suspension, with rallyes, and they look bad to the bone.

Not real keen on the green below, but sample nose shot:

Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

That air in Montana has frozen too many of your brain cells.Coke bottles rule

Old 12-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Odd take on the HOBBY from this guy... The two cars he had don't qualify as desirable or collectable. The Bonneville is, as he himself described the era, a smog-equipped underpowered, non-desirable car. Being Pontiac guys, alot of us here appreciate the car because it is a Pontiac. Period. Very limited market. The other car HAS FOUR DOORS! It is not over-looked because it's a full-size. A four door Tempest or LeMans is treated the same. I am parting out a rust-free one owner Plum Mist 67 LeMans. My son was driving it everyday. We had it given to us. The guy we bought it from gave 400.00 for it and wants the perfect trim, bumpers, radio and dash back for his GTO.
My point is this site is full of enthusiasts for fun, classic and collectible hobby cars... the original poster unfortunately wasn't selling a car that truly qualified.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!

Last edited by PaulatFast; 12-26-2010 at 03:44 PM.