Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Default What is the NHRA accepted disconnect switch style?

Hi everyone,

Our local track is rumored to go NHRA for 2011, and I am getting conflicting answers on the type of battery disconnect switches that will be accepted for 2011. I currently have the rotary style ON/OFF switch, which is supposedly going to be unaccepted. Is this true? Online searches for 2011 amendments did not show the push/pull as the only accepted style, and previous year rulebooks I could find online did not specify the type required

Any information is greatly appreciated

Old 12-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I run the same switch in my NHRA stocker, you should be fine unless they changed in the last week ??? Rule book shows its OK.

Dave...1033 Stk (RV-455)

Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That rumor about the cut-off switch has been floating around Florida for a couple of years but I haven't seen any change in the rule book yet.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Discreet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tag cutoff.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	228152  

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 PM

My 2009 rule book says (Section 8:4, MASTER CUTOFF, page 275):
"Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off position must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, "push" must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, "pull" to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.
So, it doesn't say the switch must be push/pull. It says IF you're using push/pull, it has to be set up so that "push" turns it off. I don't see anyting that precludes using a different type of switch as long as it's not keyed and not plastic.

How-some-ever, talking with "a guy" the other day who has quite a bit of experience running events, he pointed out that the final safety authority at any track is the guy who's in charge of tech. He can say "no" to things that might otherwise be permitted by the rulebook and you're not likely to get anywhere by trying to debate him. So, seems to me the safest route would be to check the rules AND talk to the tech folks at the track.

Bear

Old 12-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargfr View Post
My 2009 rule book says (Section 8:4, MASTER CUTOFF, page 275):
"Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off position must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, "push" must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, "pull" to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.
So, it doesn't say the switch must be push/pull. It says IF you're using push/pull, it has to be set up so that "push" turns it off. I don't see anyting that precludes using a different type of switch as long as it's not keyed and not plastic.

How-some-ever, talking with "a guy" the other day who has quite a bit of experience running events, he pointed out that the final safety authority at any track is the guy who's in charge of tech. He can say "no" to things that might otherwise be permitted by the rulebook and you're not likely to get anywhere by trying to debate him. So, seems to me the safest route would be to check the rules AND talk to the tech folks at the track.

Bear
It says the exact same thing in the 2011 rule book. Rotary switch is fine.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:33 AM

Thank you gents I'll contact the track staff also just to make sure.