Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like the idea of using all metal. I'll look into the poly too for the final finish. I just want it to be an invisible job...if nobody notices it then I'll consider it a success.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well the going has been slow. I'm too busy...

I got the firewall welded up and ground down. Tomorrow I will put the "All-Metal" on and sand it.

I also got the manual master cylinder in the mail today. I'm going to do some cleanup work on that side of the firewall too while it's exposed.

Once this firewall stuff is done it shouls move pretty fast. My next big hurdle, in my opinion, is setting up the hideaways. I have some late model T/A pop up headlight motors and wiring harness. I'd like to make them electric or even manual...but electric would be nice...

Oh, I also just purchased a set of Pypes Violators...that Kaase motor should sound pretty mean through those.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Let me know how that muffler works for you. I would go with the classic Flowmaster 40 sound because I loved the way my '79 Firebird sounded but I might try something different on this vehicle.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyy View Post
Let me know how that muffler works for you. I would go with the classic Flowmaster 40 sound because I loved the way my '79 Firebird sounded but I might try something different on this vehicle.
I had been considering the flowmasters, I like them too. I have a new set of Magnaflows that were on the car before I took it apart. I liked them in my Nova with a sbc, but they really didn't give me the tone I wanted in the GTO.

I'll post a vid of it running when we get to that point.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
I had been considering the flowmasters, I like them too. I have a new set of Magnaflows that were on the car before I took it apart. I liked them in my Nova with a sbc, but they really didn't give me the tone I wanted in the GTO.

I'll post a vid of it running when we get to that point.
From 30 years of experience, I will offer this advice - run the quietest muffler you can get. I know...many think they want to HEAR the engine through the pipes. Guess what? You will...but you don't want the constant DRONE and the loud exhaust. For the difference of less than 5 HP max, you can have a car in which you can drive down the road and have a normal conversation. You will also increase the STEALTH factor of your car many fold.

If you are trying to impress others with the LOUD/NASTY exhaust sound, you won't. Go quiet and your neighbors, police and unsuspecting Chevys will never know what you have until you NAIL it. Once you do that, they'll hear the roar from under the hood - which is where they should hear it.

Good luck! Great build and results!

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had Flowmasters on my Trans Am and I really didn't care for them. A little TOO much noise for me. I like an exhaust that has a 'heavy' sound but lets loose when you nail it.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
From 30 years of experience, I will offer this advice - run the quietest muffler you can get. I know...many think they want to HEAR the engine through the pipes. Guess what? You will...but you don't want the constant DRONE and the loud exhaust. For the difference of less than 5 HP max, you can have a car in which you can drive down the road and have a normal conversation. You will also increase the STEALTH factor of your car many fold.

If you are trying to impress others with the LOUD/NASTY exhaust sound, you won't. Go quiet and your neighbors, police and unsuspecting Chevys will never know what you have until you NAIL it. Once you do that, they'll hear the roar from under the hood - which is where they should hear it.

Good luck! Great build and results!
I can totally appreciate that. I was originally thinking about a stealthy street killer. But the way this car sounds at idle is just plain nasty...so I was thinking I might as well let it be heard by all. I don't think anyone is going to be caught off gaurd when they hear it running.

I have probably owned in excess of 20 different hotrods over the years. I was also thinking about 2 chamber Flows, but they do tend to drone. Do you think the Violators will be as bad? I may have them clamped into the system at first just to hear them. I can always go back to the Magnaflows. The Magnaflows tend to be quiet when just idling or with light throttle, but really loud when you jump into it.

I had a 64 Impala with a thumper cammed 327 in it that I ran single chamber flows on...it had a headache causing drone that made me hate to drive that car.

Great input!
Thanks!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I had Flowmasters on my Trans Am and I really didn't care for them. A little TOO much noise for me. I like an exhaust that has a 'heavy' sound but lets loose when you nail it.
What have you used that you liked?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
What have you used that you liked?
Most of the cars I've bought, I left what was on the car in place, including the Flowmasters. Believe it or not, many years ago, I put an entire exhaust system on my first '68 GTO. It cost me about $190 and the oval "Turbo Mufflers" they put on sounded great. This was back before they had all the choices around now.
One that do recall hearing on a car a few years ago was I THINK, Dynomax or another one that has a very similar name. I liked the sound a lot. They were on a 389 powered '65 Catalina.
What's the other brand that has a name similar to Dynomax? I can never remember and I can never remember which one the guy had.
EDIT- I remember, it's Magnaflow

Last edited by Greg Reid; 10-15-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Most of the cars I've bought, I left what was on the car in place, including the Flowmasters. Believe it or not, many years ago, I put an entire exhaust system on my first '68 GTO. It cost me about $190 and the oval "Turbo Mufflers" they put on sounded great. This was back before they had all the choices around now.
One that do recall hearing on a car a few years ago was I THINK, Dynomax or another one that has a very similar name. I liked the sound a lot. They were on a 389 powered '65 Catalina.
What's the other brand that has a name similar to Dynomax? I can never remember and I can never remember which one the guy had.
EDIT- I remember, it's Magnaflow
Yeah Magnaflow has a decent sound. I wonder how Borla would sound as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyy View Post
Yeah Magnaflow has a decent sound. I wonder how Borla would sound as well.
I still can't remember which one the guy had but it was one of the two, Magnaflow or Dynomax....I think it was Magnaflow...

Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Magnaflows are what was on it prior to the build. I'm sure the engine will have a totally different tone now, but before they were a bit mild for my taste.

But the ones I had on my Nova sounded SO good.

And they flow great, you can look right through them...

Old 10-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I kinda like the way this car sounds but it is hard for me to tell if this is considered loud or bearable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hU8Q62npkY

Old 10-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like that too, but this is more what I'm thinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyagxsfXIaE

But it could be too much day in and day out...maybe I need electric cutouts!

Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I like that too, but this is more what I'm thinking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyagxsfXIaE

But it could be too much day in and day out...maybe I need electric cutouts!
Now that's an idea that has merit.
I actually love the sound of both of those cars but like you say, day in and day out it can get to you.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Now that's an idea that has merit.
I actually love the sound of both of those cars but like you say, day in and day out it can get to you.
You know, I mentioned the idea of cutouts more in passing...but that may be the way to go. A local guy that I know has a late model TA with electric cutouts he can control how far they open. Just barely cracked open his car sounds mean. When closed the noise level is near stock.
I don't know if I'll do this initially or after I hear it.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The plot thickens...

I have a buddy that just opened his own paint/body shop. He painted a car for me a few years back and it turned out SLICK! He approached me today about painting the GTO. He's offering to prep and paint wet sand and buff the car for $3000. He wants it for his portfolio and to be able to send people to me to see the car if they want a reference.

My paint is good but it's not show quality. Someone re-cleared the car at some point but I had planned to do cosmetics later. The clear he brought over today is $300/gallon and that's what he wants to use on the car. I'd kinda like to see the car stripped to bear metal and the vinyl top removed to see what it looks like underneath it. This way I'll really know exactly what I have. I know the driver side quarter has some mud in it, from inside the truck I'm pretty sure it's very minimal.

I hate to delay the process even further but that would mean all I have to do once it's back together is interior and A/C. This might be the time to bite the bullet. I told him I'd let him know Monday.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Don't...

Quote:
I have a buddy that just opened his own paint/body shop. He painted a car for me a few years back and it turned out SLICK! He approached me today about painting the GTO. He's offering to prep and paint wet sand and buff the car for $3000. He wants it for his portfolio and to be able to send people to me to see the car if they want a reference.

My paint is good but it's not show quality. Someone re-cleared the car at some point but I had planned to do cosmetics later. The clear he brought over today is $300/gallon and that's what he wants to use on the car. I'd kinda like to see the car stripped to bear metal and the vinyl top removed to see what it looks like underneath it. This way I'll really know exactly what I have. I know the driver side quarter has some mud in it, from inside the truck I'm pretty sure it's very minimal.

I hate to delay the process even further but that would mean all I have to do once it's back together is interior and A/C. This might be the time to bite the bullet. I told him I'd let him know Monday.
look a gift horse in the mouth...because at that price...it IS a gift!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 PM

I'd jump on that deal. 3 grand for a decent paint job today is a steal.

2004 GTO
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know...I know... I'm pretty sure I will. He says it'll be as nicer than the Nova he painted for me a few years ago. That car was beautiful. If it were anyone else I'd be hesitant. Here's the Nova he shot for me.

Last edited by 270win; 10-30-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: wrong pic