Old 10-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Headlight Help

I need to hook up my headlights and turnsignals. The switch works because it turns on interior lights but not headlights. Thinking about just buying a new harness and doing it myself. My turnsignal rod is also missing from steering wheel..don't know why..Anyone advise on difficulty level to replace all this?
Note I don't have a tilt wheel. 1972 Lemans. Endura Option.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Make sure all the ground wires are attached to the core support and making good contact. Wiring can be a PITA but just assuming you need a new harness and it will cure all the problems isn't the way to do it. You need to start by checking for voltage at the light sockets, fuses OK ?and work at it that way. If you have not bought a shop manual yet that is the way to start. It is probably not the harness unless it it is really cut and hacked up. In the Electrical Forum there are guys with all the answers. GOOD LUCK

Old 10-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what are you asking here, how to install headlights, rewire the car, or something else?

what interior lights work, the dome/underdash lights, or the instrument panel lights, or both?

have you verified the HL switch is in fact good by testing to see if you get power TO the switch and then power out when you pull it?

for turn signal lever you need to remove wheel, then remove the lock plate, both have a specific tool to do the job. you could get by without the lockplate compressor, but it's a major PITA.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is your dimmer switch hooked up and working. This could interfere with your headlites.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
Is your dimmer switch hooked up and working. This could interfere with your headlites.

Ditto that for sure.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:23 AM

My dash lights work(although kind of dim), my tail lights too. The ones in the automatic floor shifter console as well. My dome light doesn't work. I'm going to pop the hood this afternoon and take a look at the wire condition on headlights, my lights were working before I had front end repairs and bought a new engine harness. I need to get my headlights and turn signals functioning ASAP. If I didn't have to replace the entire headlamp harness that would be great.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:28 AM

And does the dimmer switch have something to do with the knob you twist that turns the lights on when you pull it?
I'm Definitely going to have to invest in a manual for interior work..

Old 10-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
And does the dimmer switch have something to do with the knob you twist that turns the lights on when you pull it?
I'm Definitely going to have to invest in a manual for interior work..
The floor mounted dimmer switch is only for the headlights and has nothing to do with controlling the dash lights...they are controlled by the rheostat in the headlight switch.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The dimmer or rheostat on the headlight switch gets worn out and worse with time. The lights on the dash were never bright compared to modern cars. If your headlights were working before I would check the connections at the headlights to make sure the prongs are in the sockets and not off to the side. The connectors get corroded and could be loose. Don't forget the ground wires for good contact.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM

The brightness of interior lights doesn't bother me, I had them on this morning and I could see just fine. Good to know it's not a due to a burned out bulb or anything. But I'm curious is the same true for the headlights? Not saying I would expect them to be bright like new lexus altezas.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:35 PM

Good news, it was just the dimmer switch. Let there be light.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Good news, it was just the dimmer switch. Let there be light.

Glad you got it diagnosed.