The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM

Default What is this hole for?

I have 2 odd holes on the panel below the rear glass. I know the holes along the edge where it meets the deck lid are for the vinyle top molding but there is an odd pair that is thorwing me off a bit. See the pics below, the holes are circled in red. there is 1 on each side in the upper corner of the panel, close to the bottom of the window. What are these for?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample 2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	219781

Name:	sample.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	219782

Old 09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take a stab. Those "odd" holes look to me to be the correct location for your corner mldg. studs. The ones you describe as being for the molding don't look right to me. Besides, I'm certain there should be studs and not screws (small holes) attaching the clips. And they all look too low.
My reason for questioning the location and screw holes is based on my G-body Grand Prix. I'm pretty sure it uses the same corner molding as the A-body.

Forgive my dumb question, but are you sure the moldings that came off are originals?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3a59re2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	219797  

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 09-27-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume someone broke off the studs along the lower portion of the panel. At each end of that panel there are two holes,I believe on that lower long molding at each end there are studs that attaching nuts are used in addition to the studs where the molding snaps on. Far as those holes I've never seen that before and dosen't look correct to me for any molding on a A body.

My T-37's rear molding is located at the edge of the panel also.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks guys. The previous owner removed the vinyl top and attempted to weld up the holes and ended up warping the metal and not really closing the holes. All the stud holes had body filler and paint over them so non of this was visible. I had it blasted down to bare metal and this is what i found. I know the the holes at the edge are correct for my year but those 2 threw me off a bit. I mocked up the trim on the car and evrything lined up except those holes. I just thought I would run it pass the experts before i have them repaired then realize thatthey serve a purpose.

Thanks Guys