67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Repop bumper issues

Hey Guy's
Well I am down to the nitty gritty and I only have a few things left to do on the exterrior of the car and I have suddenly came to a screeching halt! It seems that my aftermarket reepop bumpers are not a good fit at all. The front so far seems ok but the back was a full inch shorter than the original! Has anyone had this issue before?If so is there a fix?I couldn't even get the brackets under the bumper to fit.Has anyone had this issue with these things?
Thanks

Old 08-14-2010, 01:32 AM

let me guess. Golden Leaf?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Chief

I had good luck on my 67 with an Ebay bumper Tamraz I think, I believe it was a Dynacorn. the key to repop bumpers is to keep them out of the sun.LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackbird 003.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	215159  

Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would rather not say who its just the fact that these POS bumpers are actually on the market! If I would have known this I would have bought elseware....

Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me ask you this Guy's who makes the very best quility repop bumper of them all? This bumper that I bought say's made in Tiawan,how about MIUSA. Anyone have something that is the full length? I mean how is a guy supposed to put a bumper on that is to short? This thing is so short that the only way I could mount it was to remove the brackets!I measured my original and actually risked scrathcing the paint on it with the old bumper and it fit perfectly!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ask for a refund
you really owe it to everyone else to mention the brand.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've heard dozens of stories about the repop 69 Firebird rear bumper being 1" too short. Unfortunately, many people simply dismiss the issue, eat the $149, and chalk it up to another bad experience with one of these vendors that sell cheap Taiwanese counterfeit crap. And then buyers look for an original bumper on E-Bay, or get their own original rechromed.

The crap Taiwanese bumper that didn't fit, the bumper the vendor won't take back because....."Gee, we never heard of that problem before, we've sold hundreds", ends up in their basement, at a swap meet, or on E-Bay. Someone else buys it, experiences the same issue, and it starts all over again.

New scam....people are taking the repro bumpers (that don't fit) and selling them as re-chromed originals, for twice the original price.

We really need a thread on this site (with a sticky) called "Parts that don't fit, avoid at all costs".

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your best bet would be to rechrome your original or get a good used original bumper, test fit it first and then have it rechromed. A good chrome job will cost more than the repro bumper but you will end up with a bumper that fits with crome that's better than the repro and even GM.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
Your best bet would be to rechrome your original or get a good used original bumper, test fit it first and then have it rechromed. A good chrome job will cost more than the repro bumper but you will end up with a bumper that fits with crome that's better than the repro and even GM.
X2!

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 08-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I am not done with this Guys I know where I got this POS from and I have to say this Vendor is already doing the same thing thing that Mr. Noun was saying, what not my bumper we have sold many ,many of these! Maybe you need to call back on Monday!
Well that to me stinks! I will say this I have found my receipt and it was shipped to my Home through a company that is very, very BIG in aftermarket Pontiac and many other parts!
I will also say that when I asked these people if they will give me the money back for that pathetic piece that they gave me and they give me the slightest bit of BS about it I will spread the word that there stuff is what I was sold! And you all know what that was! Any time that someone buys a bumper that is a full inch smaller than the original has a real problem!

I can attest to that!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shoust, check the archives on this topic. There are more if you do a search, but these are few discussions I recall....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ht=rear+bumper

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ht=rear+bumper

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 AM

Default Rear bumper

I just went through putting a Goodmark rear bumper to my 69. It was definitely a tight fit, requiring a little adjustment of the brackets on the ends. I chalked that up to the fact that both quarters and the tailpanel were are repop parts. Once I got it in place, it looks pretty good. I am pleased with it.

If you need one, I have a decent core. It is slightly tweaked and has some surface rust on the inside but would be easy to straighten.

Bill

An all Pontiac T/A lookalike and a work in process. 99% done

Bill Jacobs
Old 08-15-2010, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacobs41042 View Post
I just went through putting a Goodmark rear bumper to my 69. It was definitely a tight fit, requiring a little adjustment of the brackets on the ends. I chalked that up to the fact that both quarters and the tailpanel were are repop parts. Once I got it in place, it looks pretty good. I am pleased with it.

If you need one, I have a decent core. It is slightly tweaked and has some surface rust on the inside but would be easy to straighten.

Bill
send it to Tri Citys in Tenn.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is an Inch short send them a picture next to a original one. I think its a good bet that they know of the problem but sell them anyway. If it was me I would personally return it to them in a way that they might not like.

I am sure that if this was PY or Ames this would not be an issue.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reason these guys continue to sell this crap is because no one has made it difficult enough.Ive had a belly full of cheap crap that doesnt work or fit,that someone paid good money for.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my repo rear bumper from Matt's Bowties on ebay. Perfect fit and great price. My first thought was maybe you got one for a 67 or 68 and not a 69? Anyway, I hope you get a return and get one that fits!