Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Crank tight to turn after rear main seal.

I was wondering if its normal for the crank to be tight to turn after installing a graphite rope seal? i have just the crank installed on the engine stand turns fine without the seal and proper end play and main clearances. I packed the seal in good and put some oil on it as directed. Will this free up? Also it said to put some sealant under the cap is this right? The engine was dry in that area before I took it apart and would like to keep it that way. Thanks Tom

Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another reason to avoid rope seals unless required by poor block machining; or (not applicable to automotive engines) because the seal must cope with abrasive liquids.

Yes, it will loosen up in time.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Senior Chief

I've heard my dyno guy say he really pays close attention to rope seals getting to hot on initial start ups.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything in your description sounds correct. I usually check the torque required to turn the crank with no rods installed. With the old style rope seal installed it took about 20 foot-lbs, and 7-10 foot-lbs without the seal. The seal loosens up quickly so there ends up being minimal additional drag. You have to use a beam torque wrench to do this as you have to overcome the initial stiction.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've installed quite a few of the new Best Rope seals to date. I pack them tight and cut to length as recomended, backing them up with RTV, etc.

They make the crank turn hard for a few revolutions, then free up nicely. The old style asbestos rope seals turned at least 10 times as hard from what I remember, and never did free up nearly as much as the new seals, at least before you installed the engine in the car and got it running.

To date I haven't had one drop of oil get by the new rope seals in any of the engines we've used them in here......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the reply, was wondering about the sealant under the cap. i did put a small amount near the ends.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My Graphtite seal was the same way when I installed it, but it loosened up quickly. Two years running now and no problems.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cliff, What is meant by packing them tight?

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.