EFI Tech All things EFI and making classics modern!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

Default Edelbrock EFI

Anyone ever use it?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreGTO65 View Post
Anyone ever use it?
Succinct, direct, to the point, I like that.

More direct and to the point; no, why would you? A Q-Jet works at least as well, maybe better, and is period correct, but it takes mechanical aptitude to make it work.

Sorry, bad day!

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Senior Chief

Done Q jets, done Quick fuel's, done tri-powers...
I want something with modern features, yet period correct engine.

That is why I want to build a nice little 496 Pontiac make it fuel injected, and put a TKO 600 behind it.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had it on the 74 Vette I built. I was running a high compression L-82 punched out to 355ci with the full Edelbrock build package, heads, cam, and dfi, it dynoed out at just under 400hp on premium street gas. The engine was fantastic to drive. Here are the advantages.

You send Edlebrock your build specs and they send you a baseline chip, this chip is close enough to get you running. Then you begin tuning from there, the best way to tune is on a dyno, but if you have the time you can tune it by driving. What is really sweet is you can record three different sets of fuel and ignition maps. I had one set for racing, one set for the street, and one set for emissions. You have alittle controller that sits in the passenger compartment that you use to switch between the maps or to fine tune them.

Because you have so much control of the a/f and ignition maps you can run a full point to 1.5 points extra compression without detonation. The other nice thing is it looks almost stock. I will see if I have some pictures laying around.

If you decide to try it let me know and I will be happy to lend any experience I can.

Best regards,
Harry

Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf'sDad View Post
... A Q-Jet ... takes mechanical aptitude to make it work...
EFI is not exactly 'Aspiration for Dummies' either.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonkey View Post
EFI is not exactly 'Aspiration for Dummies' either.
No, but I did say "mechanical aptitude". By and large setting up EFI is plug and play now days but then you have to have the computer/technical skills to fine tune the programming and some of that is taken over by the computer in a lot of setups.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill