Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Senior Chief

Default Pypes transverse 2nd gen system sound clip and Walker muffler swap

Would like to hear what the pypes system sounds like on this application their web site does not have it and their links are not working.

I have read conflicting info on if the Walker 17276 fits with this system or if there is a mandrel system where the walker muffler fits.

I don't want the loud racy noise, I just want a nice quiet burble.

Anyone can help me on this with actual experiences??

CURRENT CARS
68 Firbird 400ci convertible
Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Exhaust Guru

The system was built with the Walker Crossflow as the pattern muffler. The PYPES' one is identically sized unless some changes were made and I do not think they were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unercarrearbwDSCN6369.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	211555  

Old 07-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Senior Chief

how is the walker crossflow in decibles and such to the muffler that is recently release by off the top of my head I forgot as I saved it on my other computer. there is a post with the muffler from Cardone or something like that with sound bites on U tube.
it is 139.00 for the aluminized version.
Compared to the walker

and thanks for your reply

CURRENT CARS
Old 07-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Pypes RacePro Crossflow, doesnt sound like a low "Burble".
I have Headers into 2 1/2 inch Pypes pipes behind a 455.
It is not a low bassy sound. Wouldn't call it "Burbly" at all.. Now that might be my ~.500 lift cam contributing to that, and the headers..

By comparison my 67 GTO has dual Flowmaster Delta 40's I put on about 10 years ago. It has a 400 with a smaller cam ~.460, with Ram Air exhaust manifolds into 2 1/2 inch pipes. IT has a much mellower more bassy sound. Still not really "Burbly". but more so.

The Pypes Crossflow is a rather agressive sounding muffler in my case. I expected and sort of hoped for more "burble" to be honest, but I like the sound and it is growing on me. It is more "Racy". It's probobly more along the charactieristics of my motor build...Since the idle is fairly lopey..
It's really not that loud until you give it lots of throttle then it sorta ROARS. I cant tell you how to get "Burble". I hear "Burbly" trucks driving around everywhere, but dont think this muffler is it.
HTH

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

My version of Burble is a mild cam with a dynomax/walker super turbo pretty darn quiet up front with a mellow tone(burble) out the tail pipe at idle and just a little throaty at throttle.

Just a little throaty not to overpower the stereo like a flowmaster or spin tech.

I have had spin tech sportsmans 1 7/8 headers 3 inch collectors 3 inch oval pipes with the 3" in and out spin techs with no tail pipes on my 505ci and it sounded crazy!! Loved it but that was a pro streeter this is a driver TA with a 400ci 9:1 ish with 215-221 cam with 501/483 lift 112 sep 1.65 rockers, jetted Q jet

I figure it will have a burble no matter what with the 112 just dont want it overpowered.

I am thinking I am going to go with the Waldron exhaust with the new muffler they put out last year for 410.00 plus ship it should work pretty well for what I am looking for. I just cannot put out the extra cash for this set up for the mandrel Pypes pipes and X pipe then the muffler from Waldron. For that 10HP ish difference I am not so sure I care.

Although on the flip side I think summit sells the Pypes system with the race flow for 499.00 so it would be a wash with the waldron and shipping and I could just go out and buy the Dynomax super turbo and sell the pypes race pro transverse so I can have it quieted down some.

Just thinking out loud as I type as I need to order the exhaust next week

CURRENT CARS