Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

Default Opinion - white headliner with dark aqua(code220) interior?

Since I can't find a correct color/pattern headliner to go with my dark aqua code 220 interior, I'm about to order an incorrect color and paint it. This is for my '67 Lemans. I was thinking about ordering a close color like blue or green and painting that with the correct color dupont vinyl die. But, then I got to wondering how a white headliner might look with the aqua interior - not sure about that? But maybe I should order a white headliner and then if I don't like the way it looks paint it to match? My concern with that would be if the painted headliner got scratched, the white would realy show up where a close color like green or blue might not show up so much when scratched?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't worry about "scratching' the headliner. If you load a piano or ladder into the car and hit the headliner hard enough to rub through the color, it's gonna tear anyway. The dyes penetrate really well, and the interior paints and colorings seem to work fine. I would lean towards getting the parchment headliner, and if you don't like the color, dye/paint it after it's been intstalled. What color is your car? If it's a white car, the parchment headliner would probably look great. You could change out the rest of the interior to black or parchment....

Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put the white headliner in and keep it that way it will look really nice like that and I dont think anyone would notice its not right. JMHO

Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 66 with the aqua 220 color interior, and I just bought a new headliner for it just a few months ago. However, I did have to buy it from a local company in my area. And I never knew of them until I looked in Hemmings. Cost? $200.00 I believe but it was also custom made, with real American hands. If you want the name if them, let me know. They are located in the town of Canby, Oregon. I also bought enough to recover my rear panels. And it is, the correct pattern as the original. And the white would also look nice.

Mike

Old 03-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR67GTO View Post
I have a 66 with the aqua 220 color interior, and I just bought a new headliner for it just a few months ago. However, I did have to buy it from a local company in my area. And I never knew of them until I looked in Hemmings. Cost? $200.00 I believe but it was also custom made, with real American hands. If you want the name if them, let me know. They are located in the town of Canby, Oregon. I also bought enough to recover my rear panels. And it is, the correct pattern as the original. And the white would also look nice.

Mike

You're talking about SMS. I recommended them to someone in an earlier thread for the code 220 headliner...Maybe it was you Lee?
I sent for a sample a while back and it was a dead solid perfect match for my original.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, that was me, who you sent the information about SMS to. And, I also saw them in Hemming's. This, is why I mentioned I would look for the name. I, bought mine from them, and it was just excellent. I also bought some extra for the sail panels and visors.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Id go parchment. It really brightens up the interior

Old 03-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally, I don't think the parchment headliner alone would look good. If you go parchment, you'd have to switch the entire interior to make it look right.
At the very least, you're going to have to dye the trim pieces around the headliner, the welting, pillar pads, visors, etc.
Easier to dye the headliner turquoise than to dye all the plastic pieces white.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Chief

Hmm, SMS quoted me over $300 for just the headliner - it was going to be even more with the extra material for the visors and muffs, and the sample they sent me was the wrong color.

I was on that other thread as well, but it never got an updated as to how it worked out.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecorrell View Post
Hmm, SMS quoted me over $300 for just the headliner - it was going to be even more with the extra material for the visors and muffs, and the sample they sent me was the wrong color.

I was on that other thread as well, but it never got an updated as to how it worked out.
See post #4 above as it turns out...he was the original poster of the other thread.
I can understand cost concerns though. Back when they gave me an estimate for my '68, it was slightly over $200. That was about 2 years ago or so.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Chief

Well, the white headliner is in. So far everyone that's seen it in person has liked it. I'm OK with it, not quite sure if I would like the original color better or not. It makes it very time period correct looking to me, even though it is not correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner-back-small.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	211740   Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner-front-small.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	211741  

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That actually looks a lot better than I thought it would. Shows what I know.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks great. Really brightens the interior, and gives a nice contrast to all that turqoise. It screams "SIXTIES", IMO. Way to go!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another yea vote from me. That has a very classy look to it.

Great job!
-Harry