Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Default Rocker arm adjustment

I'm paranoid about my cam break-in and lash adjustments. I did the normal break in as described in many posts here. changed oil. re-torqued. re-set lash. drove maybe ten miles today and it seems to run good.
I opened a valve cover and notice the rockers that arent under spring load can be wiggled side to side a little. is this normal? I dont notice any tap when the engine is running. I ran it with the covers off and no noise. The push-rods rotate and all looks good. Do I need to adjust lash again or just run it as is?

build is a 30 over 400 crower lifters, crower 60916 cam, mild ported #13 heads, clif carb.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Yes, you should be able to rotate the rocker arms slightly side to side by hand, with some resistance. You shouldn't be able to turn the pushrod between your fingers. There shouldn't be any play between pushrod and rocker arm. Sounds like you're probably fine.

Rule of thumb on most old V8s with hydraulic lifters is, with the engine running, fully warmed up, back each rocker off one at a time SLOWLY until it just starts to tap. Tighten slowly to just eliminate the tap, then tighten slowly in 1/4 turn increments, with 15 seconds in between, until you've tightened 3/4 turn. That should be perfect for most hydraulic liftered street engines. The key is to work SLOWLY as you loosen and tighten them. Good luck

Old 07-09-2010, 01:55 AM

thanks much. I didnt realize they were suppose to move a little. I cant spin the push rod by hand. I think all is good. I know I took my time when adjusting them. Just nervouse about every little thing as I get the car back on the road.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
Yes, you should be able to rotate the rocker arms slightly side to side by hand, with some resistance. You shouldn't be able to turn the pushrod between your fingers. There shouldn't be any play between pushrod and rocker arm. Sounds like you're probably fine.

Rule of thumb on most old V8s with hydraulic lifters is, with the engine running, fully warmed up, back each rocker off one at a time SLOWLY until it just starts to tap. Tighten slowly to just eliminate the tap, then tighten slowly in 1/4 turn increments, with 15 seconds in between, until you've tightened 3/4 turn. That should be perfect for most hydraulic liftered street engines. The key is to work SLOWLY as you loosen and tighten them. Good luck
Ithought that was the key on old chevys? From what i have read on the stock ponitacs is thek are tighted down all the way?

Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 AM

I have used this method from this web site. It worked great for me. I used Poly-Lock nuts to insure they stayed where I wanted

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance....p/rockers.html

www.fquick.com/mikecio1
http://www.facebook.com/MikeCio1