Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Question windshield wiper wiring

I have a '68 LeMans.
My wipers quit working. So I check uner the hood the wiper motor has three electrical blades. My wire connector has two blade recever, attached to the far left and middle blade on the wiper motor. One wire is black with blue stripe is cut and not attached. I looked under the dash the black wire with blue stripe is there and is also cut and not attached.

If I attach the blk. & blue stripe wire to the third (far right) blade on the wiper motor and ground the blk. w/Blue stripe wire under the dash the wipers run continuous. The switch does nothing. When the key is on the wipers run.

If I flip the two blade recever upside down and attach it to the motor on the far right and middle blade and ground the blk&blue wire under the dash the wiper switch works in reverse. off is on and on is off, etc.

I am wonder since the blk. & blue stripe wire were cut previously at the motor and dash maybe i just need a new switch.

If Anybody can understand me please try to help out or ask for more explaination. I will be glad to try to explain what has happened or what I am talking about.

I'm just grabing at wires so to speak!

Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Clear something up

You said "My wipers quit working".
So what/how were they doing before they quit?

2 speed wiper motors have three terminal plugins. I've seen two wire connectors on two of the terminals with a single wire connector on the third terminal. Kind of like the car could've come with a single speed or two speed but was wired/had wires for both.

If your's 'WERE' working and quit, look for a single wire that may have come un-plugged or fallen off.

Black wire with yellow stripe is the power wire to the wiper motor. It's hot whenever the ignition switch is on. The two other wires are for low and high speeds on the wipers. Grounding those wires is what makes the wiper motor run. The wiper switch is what completes the ground path.

Sounds like someone has changed the wiring around for some reason. Why, who knows.
Wiper motors have automatic functions built in. Like when washer is activated the wipers will run on low, and when the wiper switch is cut off the wipers will return to the park position by themselves.

Anyhow, wash function could've been messed up/stuck and finally wore out or broke. You should of heard it clicking with the wipers on if it was part of whatever was going on before.

It sounds like you're saying the wipers were working with a single wire plugged in. So is there a two wire plug still connected for the washer pump?

Undoing what's been done and putting wires back right will probably lead you to whatever the original problem was. THEN diagnosing and fixing should be easy. Wheather it was a problem with wiper motor itself, wash problem, wiper switch, or a short of somekind.

Before wipers quit, if the wipers didn't return to park on their own, the wiper motor may have lost it's ground.

Bunch of rambling there. Just with what information you've given, not sure what to say.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Default will get back with you,

Quick-Silver,
Thanks,
Next week I am going to look at the wires real close and re post with wire colors where exactually attached etc. I hope you will get back to me and give me your thoughts again.
You helped out alot this time. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Default 67 gto wiper motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
You said "My wipers quit working".
So what/how were they doing before they quit?

2 speed wiper motors have three terminal plugins. I've seen two wire connectors on two of the terminals with a single wire connector on the third terminal. Kind of like the car could've come with a single speed or two speed but was wired/had wires for both.

If your's 'WERE' working and quit, look for a single wire that may have come un-plugged or fallen off.

Black wire with yellow stripe is the power wire to the wiper motor. It's hot whenever the ignition switch is on. The two other wires are for low and high speeds on the wipers. Grounding those wires is what makes the wiper motor run. The wiper switch is what completes the ground path.

Sounds like someone has changed the wiring around for some reason. Why, who knows.
Wiper motors have automatic functions built in. Like when washer is activated the wipers will run on low, and when the wiper switch is cut off the wipers will return to the park position by themselves.

Anyhow, wash function could've been messed up/stuck and finally wore out or broke. You should of heard it clicking with the wipers on if it was part of whatever was going on before.

It sounds like you're saying the wipers were working with a single wire plugged in. So is there a two wire plug still connected for the washer pump?

Undoing what's been done and putting wires back right will probably lead you to whatever the original problem was. THEN diagnosing and fixing should be easy. Wheather it was a problem with wiper motor itself, wash problem, wiper switch, or a short of somekind.

Before wipers quit, if the wipers didn't return to park on their own, the wiper motor may have lost it's ground.

Bunch of rambling there. Just with what information you've given, not sure what to say.
Hi,Have the same problem,Can't get the wiper motor to work.Have all new harness'es new motor but can't get it to run.Do you have any photo's of the wiper hook up?Let me know and thanks Mike