67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Beefing up a stock Drive shaft

Hey Guy's well I am kicking some things around and one of them is whether or not I keep my stock rear end and drive shaft. I have a nine inch with Moser axles and other stuff but I am really reluctant to put it in until I start to race the car. What I was wondering about is can the drive shaft on a 350 car handle a 455.s power with a good set of U-joints? Or should I forget about it and just put the Nine in and a new shaft? I was going to run street radial tires for now and eventually go with a complete different set up. What Joints should I use with the stocker shaft? The car is a stick and making over 500ft lbs...
Thanks

Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Save yourself a nightmare and get a good aftermarket Chromolly or aluminum shaft. When they break and especially at high speeds, they take a lot of stuff with them!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been on the same wavelength of thought. So is there a list or some place you can look at stock lengths or custom lengths for common combinations? I have a Turbo 400 with a 1971 Nova Rear end and would like to get the drive shaft made but the engine and tranny are not in the car. Someone must have run this combo before but haven't been able to find a thread on it yet. I would think that someone would have made this measurement and running specific combos but where to find such information?????

Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ralph-

I had a custom 3.5" shaft made at Fleetpride for under 300 bucks.