Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any PYPES Reps in here?

Howdy

I sent PYPES an email requesting odering information with my specific setup over a month ago without so much as a "we're too busy to answer you right now" reply or anything else.

I like PY, I like Chris Casperson, I WANT to buy an exhaust system from you guys, but frankly I'm tired of chasing people around so I can put money in their pockets.

The application is a 1970 GTO with a 455 and R.A.R.E. RA cast manifolds. I need a good system with quiet mufflers and a cross over. I'm running 2.5" RA manifolds and would like to get everything from the flanges rearward to the rear valence. Downpipes, Crossover, mufflers, hangars, tips, etc.

Tell me what you would suggest, provide PN's and I will put that money I promised in your pocket, and not your competitors.

-Matt

Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Chief

Matt-

Haven't had a lot of luck with emailed messages to the Pypes reps. For my 71 with splitters, they tell me I can only use a 2.5" system due to interference and "the way the pipes are bent". I want to use a 3" system. So after a couple weeks' time (sometimes days between their replies) I finally got the information I wanted. We know from Jim Hand's hard work that tailpipes can be smaller than headpipes with little loss. SO I wanted to know if Pypes would sell me a system with 18" mufflers (quieter than 14") 3" headpipes and 2.5" tailpipes.

When the reply finally came, the cost was about what I could buy both systems for from Summit!

I just bought the 3" system from Summit and figure I'll mod the tailpipes to make the splitters fit (worst case get a local shop to do it) and just screw the warranty.

Not very pleased with the communication or help the manufacturer offered. The final kicker, Summit listed the system as in stock when I ordered it, March 23rd. After I bought it, they sent me a note saying it wouldn't ship until the second week of April. The latest update is either May 31st or June 6th until they SHIP it, take your choice.

Bottom line, make the vendor visually check stock (I actually phoned the order in and got that April 14th or so date verbally) before placing the order if you want it this summer.

On the positive side, the collector extension and splitters I've already received seem to be of superb quality.

Good luck,

Stuart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03-26-10 013.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	205382   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-26-10 002.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	205383   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-18-10 001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	205384   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-18-10 004.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	205385   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-18-10 005.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	205386  

Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post
Howdy

I sent PYPES an email requesting odering information with my specific setup over a month ago without so much as a "we're too busy to answer you right now" reply or anything else.

I like PY, I like Chris Casperson, I WANT to buy an exhaust system from you guys, but frankly I'm tired of chasing people around so I can put money in their pockets.

The application is a 1970 GTO with a 455 and R.A.R.E. RA cast manifolds. I need a good system with quiet mufflers and a cross over. I'm running 2.5" RA manifolds and would like to get everything from the flanges rearward to the rear valence. Downpipes, Crossover, mufflers, hangars, tips, etc.

Tell me what you would suggest, provide PN's and I will put that money I promised in your pocket, and not your competitors.

-Matt
$389.00 SGA12x 70-71 system. replace the X with the muffler of choice.
$105.00 DGA20S RA downpipes
$25.00 RPE662H 2.5" RA flanges (unless you got them from RARE)
$69.00 RPR108LG 70-71 2.5" Stainless splitters
$24.00 PYE648 70-71 stainless tailpipe hangers
Then take 10% off all the above accessories (except system).

That is everything to complete your system. The system, muffler, tips and hangers are all 409 stainless.

Matt, Can you look in your records and tell me what days you sent each of the e-mails? Also the e-mail address(s)? Yes, we are very busy but never to busy to give a simple quote like this. I would have to assume we were not getting your e-mails.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Matt-

Haven't had a lot of luck with emailed messages to the Pypes reps. For my 71 with splitters, they tell me I can only use a 2.5" system due to interference and "the way the pipes are bent". I want to use a 3" system. So after a couple weeks' time (sometimes days between their replies) I finally got the information I wanted. We know from Jim Hand's hard work that tailpipes can be smaller than headpipes with little loss. SO I wanted to know if Pypes would sell me a system with 18" mufflers (quieter than 14") 3" headpipes and 2.5" tailpipes.

When the reply finally came, the cost was about what I could buy both systems for from Summit!

I just bought the 3" system from Summit and figure I'll mod the tailpipes to make the splitters fit (worst case get a local shop to do it) and just screw the warranty.

Not very pleased with the communication or help the manufacturer offered. The final kicker, Summit listed the system as in stock when I ordered it, March 23rd. After I bought it, they sent me a note saying it wouldn't ship until the second week of April. The latest update is either May 31st or June 6th until they SHIP it, take your choice.

Bottom line, make the vendor visually check stock (I actually phoned the order in and got that April 14th or so date verbally) before placing the order if you want it this summer.

On the positive side, the collector extension and splitters I've already received seem to be of superb quality.

Good luck,

Stuart
Stuart, You really should have just started another topic because I would like to address your issues but now I need to jack Matt's thread to do so.

The real reason why there is not a 1970-1971 GTO 3" system is because there is not adequate demand for a 3" valance exit system to justify putting it into production for just 2 years of GTO's. The SGA13 A-Body 3" system will fit but requires tailpipe modification to get the tailpipes to exit right in the valance cutouts. So for all you 70-71 GTO 550hp+ owners, you need to do an extra step. 70-71 LeMans owners don't have to do anything. The 3" A-body system fits fine.

Not sure what you didn't like about your communication with Pypes. It's unclear. You said you haven't 'had any luck'.....then you said 'not very pleased with the communication or help'. Was the rep(s) rude? Inconsiderate? Inflexible? How many times did you e-mail? Was there any phone calls?

As far as the Summit pricing being better, companies like Summit, Jeg's, PY and Ames will always have better prices then the manufacturer. Try buying a TV direct from Sony instead of WalMart. But the main reason for the huge disparity in prices is that you asked Pypes for a custom 3" system that doesn't exist which you were quoted list price for multiple components to create this 'custom' system. When you called Summit, you were ordering a stock SGA13 3" A-body system.

Lastyly, Are you mad at Pypes because Summit said they had it in stock and then didn't? Or are you just venting about the overall length of time it has taken for you to get your system? 'Cause if I were to read your post quickly, I might tend to think all your complaints are about Pypes and easily miss that you are complaining about Summit's stocking problems since that complaint was in the same paragraph as your complaint about Pypes.

Last edited by Ccass; 05-05-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Senior Chief

Just my here but I got my Pypes system delivered yesterday and I'm very happy with the quality and can't wait to install it. Only weird thing was I was 2 clamps short got 10 instead of 12 but its kind of irrelevant since I just went ahead and ordered a dozen band clamps today to use instead. Also there wasn't instructions included in either of the 2 boxes I recieved. As for emailing a tech question or sales type of question I have found its just best to pick up the phone and call. It seems like across the board no matter what company you are dealing with emails tend to be of the lowest priority.

Last edited by FatfreeGTO; 05-06-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Chief

Default Separate thread, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Stuart, You really should have just started another topic because I would like to address your issues but now I need to jack Matt's thread to do so.

The real reason why there is not a 1970-1971 GTO 3" system is because there is not adequate demand for a 3" valance exit system to justify putting it into production for just 2 years of GTO's. The SGA13 A-Body 3" system will fit but requires tailpipe modification to get the tailpipes to exit right in the valance cutouts. So for all you 70-71 GTO 550hp+ owners, you need to do an extra step. 70-71 LeMans owners don't have to do anything. The 3" A-body system fits fine.

Not sure what you didn't like about your communication with Pypes. It's unclear. You said you haven't 'had any luck'.....then you said 'not very pleased with the communication or help'. Was the rep(s) rude? Inconsiderate? Inflexible? How many times did you e-mail? Was there any phone calls?

As far as the Summit pricing being better, companies like Summit, Jeg's, PY and Ames will always have better prices then the manufacturer. Try buying a TV direct from Sony instead of WalMart. But the main reason for the huge disparity in prices is that you asked Pypes for a custom 3" system that doesn't exist which you were quoted list price for multiple components to create this 'custom' system. When you called Summit, you were ordering a stock SGA13 3" A-body system.

Lastyly, Are you mad at Pypes because Summit said they had it in stock and then didn't? Or are you just venting about the overall length of time it has taken for you to get your system? 'Cause if I were to read your post quickly, I might tend to think all your complaints are about Pypes and easily miss that you are complaining about Summit's stocking problems since that complaint was in the same paragraph as your complaint about Pypes.
Ccass-

I suppose you're right, I should have started a separate thread, but in all fairness, I wouldn't have even mentioned the issue on this board had it not been for a customer service communication issue that Matt was having as well; just sort of commiserating.

As to your other points above-

1. I wish your CSR had been at least as forthcoming with information as you were in the second paragraph. When I'm done, I will have indeed a 550+ HP car, therefore the need for the 3" system. In asking the CSR about this, I was told that the 2.5" system was adequate for x HP without him even asking where I was, horsepower wise. Your telling me that the 3" tailpipes can be modified is a great piece of information, a relief. Thank you. I did think it odd that you manufacture and sell a 3" splitter set for my car, but not a tailpipe to fit it. [These not sold at Summit and not in stock at PY, I did find them in stock at another vendor's shop.]

2. Did not talk by phone, only email. I probably should have called, given the unsatisfactory nature of the email, but I didn't. I frequently email during normal business hours, which means from work, when I have a moment. Given that I cannot afford to wait on hold, email just seemed more practical. From my standpoint, email also allows the CSR to research information not at hand and reply more completely.

It's not that he was rude, just a bit stingy with information, such as providing an alternative I hadn't thought of (he never suggested the 2.5" tailpipe, or what might I have to do to modify the tailpipe, such as welding, or simple slight bends, etc.). My impression (and since it's interpersonal, it is just as much me) was that I was bothering him with a stupid question, since I'd already read that the 3" system wouldn't fit my car and that replying wasn't worth his time. As I said, this is just an impression I had when searching for an answer to a non-standard problem.

I had hoped for a loquacious rep who would spell out what I need to do in order to have a suitable exhaust for my projected HP needs. As it was, it took over ten days (sorry, I forget the actual time, it may have been over two weeks) until I received the cost estimate. At that point, I had already given up on receiving and answer and just placed the order with Summit.

3. I understand about Summit pricing being better, no argument. But another reason to buy from Summit is very fast delivery (usually). I expected the "custom" system to be more because 1) it wasn't through Summit and 2) the nature of the "custom" beast. However, I assumed (lacking any other input) that the "custom" system would consist of a standard 3" X-pipe, 3" x 18" body Race Pro mufflers, 2.5" tailpipes and some sort of adapter, either a muffler with a smaller outlet or a simple reducer. Given that the X-pipe, tailpipes and possibly the mufflers were off-the-shelf, but scavenged from different systems, I didn't anticipate the doubling of system price. I expected a $100 or so premium for substituting an off the shelf part and providing an adapter. That, plus say another $100 due to the lower volume nature of your direct sales. I believe the quoted price was nearly $800.

4. I'm certainly not mad at Pypes, period. I was disappointed in tech support, but not angry. You are correct about my venting over Summit's misinformation, any yes, it was buried inside of my rant over the tech communication. In my own defense, the issues ran together to me as a warning, overall, to Matt that neither email in the case of Pypes nor a phone call to Summit,( speaking to three separate Summit people, each more knowledgeable than the preceding), could be relied upon as providing a quick and correct answer.

My display of received products you produce was meant as an affirmation of anticipated and delivered quality. I'll gladly buy from you again. Thanks for hearing me out.

Stuart

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback. If you have the e-mail correspondence, I'd appreciate it if you forwarded it to me. Also, We just installed a voice record system and in the future, we can review calls like you had and help our CSR's keep an upbeat positive attitude. Sometimes in the Spring, the guys just get beat up and by the end of the day, they may not sound like they are having fun. I know exactly what you are saying. Anyway, that's no excuse.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, please check your email for the initial request sent on Mar. 30th. Thanks for the reply, do you have any advice on the best breathing and quiet muffler. I cannot stand loud pipes or any droning.

Also, do you suggest band clamps? If so, how many are needed?

Again, thanks for your reply.

-Matt Dorman

Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST View Post
Chris, please check your email for the initial request sent on Mar. 30th. Thanks for the reply, do you have any advice on the best breathing and quiet muffler. I cannot stand loud pipes or any droning.

Also, do you suggest band clamps? If so, how many are needed?

Again, thanks for your reply.

-Matt Dorman
Matt, I got the copy of your original e-mail to Pypes. What I wanted from you was the reply that caused you to start this topic.

The best breathing and quietest muffler that Pypes offers is the MVR30 18" Race Pro. It flows close to straight pipe flow. However, all straigtht through mufflers will have an rpm range that causes some internal resonance(drone). This is unavoidable with a high flow muffler. That's the trade off. That being said, the X-pipe offsets some of the unwanted drone and it's a minimal rpm range. Most drivers go faster or slower and the unwanted sound goes away.

The band clamp is really a personal decision based on the look you want under the car and whether you feel the need to be able to take the system apart in the future. For your application, in theory you need 10 band clamps but I would suggest permanently welding the 4 X-pipe junctions once installed. That would reduce your band clamps to 6. Two at the collector reducers, 2 in front of the mufflers and 2 behind the mufflers.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 GHOST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass
Matt, I got the copy of your original e-mail to Pypes. What I wanted from you was the reply that caused you to start this topic.
Ummm from what I read, it was NO response that got him to post. And, I'll leave it at that.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Ummm from what I read, it was NO response that got him to post. And, I'll leave it at that.
my bad. 2 similar topics going on and I got my signals crossed. Carry on.....

Old 05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put my order in this morning with Stacy, very helpful customer service rep!

I wound up ordering the entire system including the RacePros as they are 18" versus the 14" StreetPros.

Here's my thinking:

-Chris says RacePros are the quietest best flowing mufflers.
-The RacePros are a larger muffler.
-The cost of the system including mufflers is only about $90 more than without.. So it's about the cost of one muffler from Summit or Jegs to try the Pypes mufflers. If I don't like the RacePros, I'm only out $90, not the $180 + Shipping.

I bought the 1" band clamps and can pull the system apart to swap mufflers if I choose.

Thanks again for the help guys.

-Matt

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Christmas in May, I just got my box-o-goodies today from the man in brown.

Overall first impressions are that the kit includes everything I'll need.

I cannot wait to start hanging the system over the weekend.

-Matt