Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Wiring an original radio

Hi, I Have an original radio for my 1970 GTO. It has 4 prongs for a connector. The book shows a 2 wire connector plugging into a 4 wire connector going into the radio. I have the 2 wire connector that has a yellow wire and a gray wire. This is my 12v and common. My speaker that is the stock type has wire clips. I don't have the 4 wire connector. So I don't know which pins on the radio take power and common and which are for the center speaker. I also have a ground wire which comes from the dash screw.
All the drawing that I have show the wires, but aren't clear enough to show on which prongs they go to. Can anyone help or have a clear drawing?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your radio is marked on the case next to the male connecting spades as to what goes where. If you don't have the four prong connector you can use 1/4" female spade conectors. Make sure and insulate them so they don't touch. The gray wire is for the back light and is wired to the dash light dimmer circuit. Your ground comes from the mounting bracket to dash. The yellow is the power wire. The front speaker is a single green wire that grounds at the dash mounting point. I attached diagrams from a firebird but wiring is the same.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf radio wiring.pdf (79.2 KB, 68 views)

Old 03-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Thank You Getridaone for the wiring diagram. That is a big help. But the back of the connector on the radio doesn't have any marking. I tried to get it to play yesterday, but wasn't successful. I need to know what each prong is.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 03-22-2010, 02:39 PM

From the firebird radio wiring diagram Getridaone sent to me. from right to left I would have the speaker on the first prong, Then the Yellow power, and Gray illuminator. But what about the prong on the left? Does anything go to that prong?

I looked in my fisher body Manual, but it doesn't have any radio wiring diagrams.

Dave

Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From memory, there should be markings in the forms of stampings right on top of each prong on the chassis of the radio...maybe clean that area with a tooth brush and some alcohol/de-greaser....

Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that last prong is for the blue jumper wire for rear speaker optioned radios. It's dead without the fader control mounted.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:57 PM

That clears it all up, Thanks to All, Is the Firebird wiring supplement the same as the GTO? In which manual would I find it?

Dave

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It will also be in the big 1970 service manual.