THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:18 PM

I saw the car in a magazine I subscribe to (Musclecar Review) It's OK. Sure it's unique but honestly if I had $125,000.00 laying around to blow on a car, I'd have 3-4 nice old Firebird's and GTO's and then maybe have enough left over to buy a new Challenger.

I'd rather have 4 cool cars than 1.

1970 Lemans Sport 400, 4-speed, 3:23 posi
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is why I'm glad GM chose the direction they did on the last GTO. Just goes to confirm that regardless what year GTO they chose to go retro with, there'd be dissention. I'm not into majority opinions, I like what I like. And I'm NOT liking this car at all. I COULD live with it, though, at a much lower price.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goathead455 View Post
When I first saw the back I was reminded of a Javelin.
My first thought was of the Falcon XB GT...

Old 03-13-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
My first thought was of the Falcon XB GT...

I've got a soft spot for those.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
I've got a soft spot for those.

Mike
At least a "soft spot "doesn't leave us with any disturbing visuals.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-G View Post
and then maybe have enough left over to buy a new Challenger.
Why wait, I've got a 2009 SRT8 Challenger sitting next door I can sell ya. Only 100 actual miles on it.

But I've got to agree.... it looks as bad as Wagner's toupe does. Man, doesn't he have an pride? That goes for both car and toupe.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

After seeing this thread's title, the posts sure were a disappointment to me. The title indicated that some member was truly "Evaluating the Purchase of a Jim Wangers Signature Series GTO". Like most of you here, I also won't be buying any $125,000 car. I was just hoping for some insight into the rationale of an actual potential buyer of the JWSE GTO.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Senior Chief

IIRC Jim Wangers poked fun at himself when he came to Australia with a comment like "Here's a pic of me before I had hair", or something similar, like that. Obviously he has a sense of humour. I think it was in reference to the pic of him standing in front of a new 64 GTO.

How old is he now? 84 or 85? He seems to be doing more than most half his age.
If he feels the need to have "hair" good on him, I reckon. If he keeps on getting up in the morning and doin' stuff, all the better.

He could be in an old people's home, dribblin' on himself, like many other unfortunate senior citizens his age, or younger.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
You guys busting on Jim personally are all a$$holes. Show some respect for Christ sake. If you don't like the car, fine...say what you don't like about it, but do you have to insult the old man?

Most of you that know me here, know that I can be the biggest opinionated a$$hole with the biggest mouth, but when you start insulting the old man personally just because you don't like the car, that makes you an even bigger a$$hole than me.
His toupee is the silliest thing I've ever seen. I'm sure he is a fine man otherwise.
That better?
And I've told 2 people that I am (and still are) friends with that they looked silly with a toupee.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I saw the car in a magazine I subscribe to (Musclecar Review) It's OK. Sure it's unique but honestly if I had $125,000.00 laying around to blow on a car, I'd have 3-4 nice old Firebird's and GTO's and then maybe have enough left over to buy a new Challenger.

Couldn't agree more. That's my point about starting this topic. A couple of members say that this car will hold its value and that may happen since it looks like it's a 1 of 1. I'd still rather have several nice classic Pontiacs than this one.

Also, what does the car have for a VIN? A 69 Lemans? So you have a modified Lemans when it gets right down to it? You'll have some explaining to do to your insurance company.

Last edited by 71 T/A; 03-14-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Overall not bad --I would change the Hood -rear a bit and you got a Winner !!!.
Heres another vid for the GTO - at the end it shows it hauling through a road course -nice!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCeq...eature=related

Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is far better than some of the new retro cars, but some of it looks cheap and cheezy like the front air dam, but that kind of money, hmm.... it will not appreciate, it will likely depreciate, and one can buy a RAIV or SD vintage car in that league.... i'm sure it is a blast to drive and if Jim is behind it, I'm sure it should be a fine road machine. The toupee comments are pretty funny. I guess I'm lucky, 54 and hair. Everyone knows baseball caps cause baldness, BTW... 99% of bald guys wear them, so 2+2, duh...........

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Guessing that will be the only one built. Big 3 Performance is out of business.

Big 3 Performance has suspended operations and is in the process of liquidating assets and winding up. You can email your questions/concerns to big3questions@gmail.com, via phone at 920.621.1766, or via US Mail to Big 3 Performance, LLC, P.O. Box 12323, Green Bay, WI 54307-2323.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation! Bob Cloud

Old 03-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

Quote:

Well, I have two '65 GTO's and a '09 426 Challenger, so I'll stand pat....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 03-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So nobody has bought this car?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
So nobody has bought this car?
Has it been advertised for sale?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess since BIG3 is down the tubes then another perfectly good OHC-6 Lemans won't be trashed needlessly.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like the same thing Mr. Norm did with Dodge Darts recently...last I heard he was having trouble selling them at 150K.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/norm-hemi-dart.html

Resto almost done - 1966 GTO HDTP Tiger Gold (paint code 1-2), black vinyl top and interior, 389 tripower, 068 cam, TH-350/Hughes TC, RA manifolds, 2.5" Pypes exhaust, Scarebird Front Disc, Ralley II's, factory PS, PB, PW, PA, A/C, headrest option.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I think it looks nearly as silly as Jim's toupee.
Ha.My brother said the same thing.I saw the car at Norwalk,didn't even waste my time stopping to look,i don't like it.Looks like it should be in an episode of 'cops'.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not hard to fathom that many people don't like the re-incarnation of the 69 Judge because when the original came out there was quite a bit bad press about it then too. People, especially magazine road test writers gave the original poor reviews.

I remember 1 comment that sticks in my mind from a 69 road test about the rear wing, "Pontiac says that the rear wing exerts 100lbs of downforce at 100 MPH, A cement filled spare tire would do just as well". Only 1 of the disparaging remarks I remember about the original road test articles.

Some things never change...........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated