Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Idea for Brighter Rear Lights

While my car is in the paint shop I've been doing other repairs/rebuilds on it, like the dash, heater, etc. While I was polishing my rear lenses it occured to me that the silver paint in the housings has pretty bad reflective quality - I've never been impressed with the brightness of the rear lights on a '65 - even with new bulbs and good grounding. I got to thinking I could use aluminum tape (used for wrapping duct joints, etc) and found that it can withstand temps up to 250*.
So I covered the inside of my light housings and the inside top and bottom of my plastic lenses with the tape. I haven't been able to try them out yet and I have no comparison pic's of before and after - but there clearly is a huge difference in the reflective qualities. I plan on going LED so heat is really not an issue for me.

Not a good idea for a concourse car but..............FWIW

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have them chromed.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

In the National Street Machine Club magazine last month, someone gave the tip that they found painting the housings white gave them a really good reflection. He tried silver and gold too, white seemed to work the best.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i think cleaning your grounds could have the same effect, but clean grounds combined with reflective housings would be the best you could possibly get!

Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

I was always looking for a COTS LED solution. I havent found one for the 67 Tempest. I have found one for the Newer Firebirds. Let me know how the test comes out.

I have tried brighter bulbs. And as they are brighter, they burn out quicker. No matter what I do.

Oh well.

Let me know how the tape works,

Dave

The Burb Files
Old 02-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as for LEDs, they are very directional. there are at least a couple for the firebirds, and i like them so much that i've bought neither. those brighter bulbs come with higher temperatures. that leads to shortened lifespans. have you considered drilling vent holes above and below to circulate air and keep the bulbs and housings cooler?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the 'chrome' tape for my 65.Still holding up after 4 yrs. but they don't seem any brighter than using a gloss silver paint.I'm going to order bulbs from Ron Francis Wireworks for mine.He has 1157 bulbs that are 50/14 candlepower.Regular 1157 bulbs are only 32/3cp.The bulbs are called 'Brite bulbs'.I don't care for leds.As mentioned above they are very directional,they won't be seen easily from an angle or from the side.65 GTO has the wraparound taillights so an LED probably won't be visible from the side.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966goat View Post
In the National Street Machine Club magazine last month, someone gave the tip that they found painting the housings white gave them a really good reflection. He tried silver and gold too, white seemed to work the best.
I've painted a few sets of housing gloss white inside....works the best - way better than silver. Nice clean bright red lights.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those higher wattage bulbs will throw off more heat, make sure there not to close to your lense or they might melt or distort it.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about 2057's?
Pretty sure they'r a higher candle power.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used primer and then 3-4 heavy coats of the new chrome paint. It actually gives as good reflection as the original. I had previously had reflective chrome tape but you can't get all the wrinkles out.

As far as led bulbs, I've been told they are unreliable the ones that fit in the old socket and burn out often. Leaving you with no brake lights. They also mess up the turn signal flasher. Don't draw enough amps to flash right! They are OK for side marker which if they fail is no life and death situation.

That's my 2cents.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Chief

I've painted a few sets of housing gloss white inside and have been very pleased with the end results - way better than silver. Nice even clean bright red lights.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
How about 2057's?
Pretty sure they'r a higher candle power.
Bingo!
Good grounds (sometimes running a dedicated aux ground) and painted inner housings, combined with 2057's, are S.O.P. for my old cars.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The LED's take a special flasher to work properly.

1965 GTO Post Coupe, Burgundy w/Parchment, 467, Crower 60243, Rhoads V-Max, Ported 5C's, JB Roller Rockers, Original '66 Tripower, Dave's Small-body HEI, RA Exh Manifolds, 2.5" Exh X-pipe w/Super Turbo's and SS Splitters, Tremec TKO 600, 3.91 12-Bolt Posi w/bearing retainers, boxed frame, 4X Discs with hydro-boost, EPAS
Old 02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
Bingo!
Good grounds (sometimes running a dedicated aux ground) and painted inner housings, combined with 2057's, are S.O.P. for my old cars.
I bought sockets that have dedicated grounds for my tail-lights,well worth the effort.The ones I bought from Advance Auto were not a direct replacement.I did have to massage the socket opening.I'll be doing this to my dad's 66 GTO as he's tired of messing with the self grounding sockets.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
Those higher wattage bulbs will throw off more heat, make sure there not to close to your lense or they might melt or distort it.
I have been using the Ron Francis Brite Bulbs for a few years in my 66 GTO that were mentioned by Goatman65 above. I have had no problems with melting or distortion, and they are BRIGHT! I do not use them in my front turn signals as the 66 has a plastic cone that fits quite close to the bulb behind the lens. I really was more concerned with the taillights/brake lights especially in a 66 with the "eyebrows" over the tailight lenses anyway.

The Ron Francis Brite lights in my 66 are as bright as any late model rear lights. I have had many folks come up and ask me about them after just seeing my brake lights pulling in to cruises etc.

Jim

http://www.ronfrancis.com/departments.asp?dept=24

Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the link Jim.

I am restoring a 68 cougar, with the cool tail lights. I painted the inside of the housing Chrome from advance auto. Big difference.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTO Jim View Post
I have been using the Ron Francis Brite Bulbs for a few years in my 66 GTO that were mentioned by Goatman65 above. I have had no problems with melting or distortion, and they are BRIGHT! I do not use them in my front turn signals as the 66 has a plastic cone that fits quite close to the bulb behind the lens. I really was more concerned with the taillights/brake lights especially in a 66 with the "eyebrows" over the tailight lenses anyway.

The Ron Francis Brite lights in my 66 are as bright as any late model rear lights. I have had many folks come up and ask me about them after just seeing my brake lights pulling in to cruises etc.

Jim

http://www.ronfrancis.com/departments.asp?dept=24
Finally got to try mine today,they ARE brighter!I like 'em and the price ain't bad.I think anybody with similar 'dim' taillights should get these bulbs.