THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Why do I stay married? two reasons. First, what Brian said "cheaper to keep her" Second, Queen says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfer-ITVSE

I love my Wife, she is my life! Oh and her sticky buns aren't bad either lol.

I don't have my own Pontiac yet, but sometimes she lets me drive hers.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I already answered this question, about 9:30 this am, before it was even posted.

Cause she sold my first Goat 40 years ago.....and I had to keep her at least until I got another one.

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I are going on 33 years and I can truly say it is better every year, by the grace of God. Marriage like any other thing of value requires a commitment and a constant nurturing if it is to survive and thrive. We have had our struggles and problems like any other couple but we made a covenant to each other and that has brought us through some difficult situations. There was a time when marriage was considered a lifetime promise and commitment but today it is just to easy to bailout; imo 'no-fault' divorce has been a big factor in marriage breakup. My daughter's former husband walked out on her and their 1 year old son after 3 years together; he decided it just wasn't 'fun' anymore. She was left with no financial support and a toddler to take care of. I urge people to seek counseling and try to work things out, especially if children are involved. Kids need a mom and a dad.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes), #64 heads, hyd. roller, Q-jet by Jeff E., original interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118, my son's car.

79 T/A w/463, Scat crank, Eagle rods, Icon pistons, Lunati solid roller, 262/270, KRE 325 heads, Northwind intake, QF950 carb, full interior, ps, pdb, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, 3650 lbs. race weight. 10.68 @ 126 so far... no tuning yet.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Deb and I will have been married 30 years this June. Marraige is a full time job, you have to make it work, trying to make it work isn't good enough.

We have a nice "mix" in our relationship. We have a lot of common ground, and then both have the things we like that the other doesn't.

We both love to travel, vacation, wine festivals, beach houses, long rides on our Road King, etc.

She likes to golf, and shop, and I'd rather go to a drag race or car show. Sometimes we do these things together, more often than not I'm fine doing something else why she goes to the Mall, etc.

We're certainly not "soul mates", but we still really like to spend quiet evenings in front of the fireplace, or cold winter evenings in the hot tub. We love to dine out and take in a movie, as well as get together with our friends for a few drinks and a card game now and then.

Hey, it certainly hasn't been perfect, but we manage to get thru the rough times and keep moving forward. Made it this far, and we're having more fun now than ever....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 PM

Cause I can't eat my cooking and she doesn't have any health insurance.

2004 GTO
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'cuz im in love!
and she has a twin i wanna tag

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

and for the record
i wear the pants in my family
every time my girlfriend lets me

Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Chief

After 40 years last November, I'm too old to find another one. Besides, not sure anyone else would have me ... I definitely married UP!

Ogre

Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of good answers so far;

In my case my wife is absolutely not a "car guy" - but she tolerates and, as best as she can, understands and encourages me in it.

We will have been married 27 years this year and dated 5 years before that so there's a lot of history and continuity there. Makes for a lot of inside jokes that nobody else would get, and the ability to know each other's thoughts and predict each other's reaction, which I find comforting. We've always had a "low maintenance" relationship so it's never really been all that hard. My first car and my first wife - I've still got 'em both!

I've always thought she was a smart cookie, very entreprenural, and hard working (being cute didn't hurt either) but lately I have been coming to admire her more and more. We are on opposite ends of the spectrum in most areas (her: outgoing; me: quiet. her: big picture; me: details. her: relational; me: mechanical) but as a result we balance each other out. We respect each other and even after all these years still go out of our way to show kindness to each other.

Bottom line: I like her a lot and she seems to like me. There's nobody else I'd rather spend time with.

Not to mention that if a divorce costs $100,000 - $500,000 as pointed out on the other thread I'm going to be married a looooonnggg time!

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-15-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In a word - respect.

We started out as friends and it grew from there. We got married.

Life happened, and in our case, we went thru hell quite a few times - both financial and personal. Instead of this separating us, it brought us together.

In the beginning, i was a laid back person, and she was ms. type A (redhead!).

But over the years, she has mellowed somewhat. I was already mellow

Now, I work out of state, and she doesn't. Another hardship that we have to bear. She gets to be a mom without a dad present, and we have teenagers in the house.

But we're in this together, to the end, and we're waiting to see what happens The reason we've been able to stay together is RESPECT and consideration for what each other does and contributes to the relationship. '

And she puts up with my pontiac habit, and the money that I spend, and the dust and crap that winds up in the house when I sandblast or sand bondo.

So far, it's been a great ride

Last edited by mikeb; 01-16-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
After 40 years last November, I'm too old to find another one. Besides, not sure anyone else would have me ... I definitely married UP!

Ogre
Same here. And both of our health is bad and we couldn't find anyone else to take care of each other!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So I can drive in the carpool lane when we travel through Atlanta!

Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Aside from the fact that I love her and our kids, we really have come a long way over the past five years. I'm not easy to live withy, so she has had her hands full to be certain...Robert

Old 01-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We're opposites, and she's a cute Mom. We made 2 wild boys together, and that's #1 in the picture. Every day is an adventure it seems, and we enjoy most all of it together. We were married 13 years in September.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tarawilliam5.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	193958  

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm fat, middle-aged and addicted to Pontiacs. I hear women are clamoring to get guys like that.

We get along great, but if I croak, the first junk man in the phone book is going to get a car and a whole bunch of parts and tools for cheap.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
I'm fat, middle-aged and addicted to Pontiacs. I hear women are clamoring to get guys like that.

We get along great, but if I croak, the first junk man in the phone book is going to get a car and a whole bunch of parts and tools for cheap.
LOL! But so true!

Old 01-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrdRestorer View Post
Why do I stay married? two reasons. First, what Brian said "cheaper to keep her" Second, Queen says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogfer-ITVSE

I love my Wife, she is my life! Oh and her sticky buns aren't bad either lol.

You're right it is cheaper to keep me You just keep thinking that I think the real reason, is because you always have a full belly, I can turn a mean wrench, and I'd kick your skinny Polish ass if you ever cheated!

BTW I'm making stickybuns this weekend!

That Queen Song does fit! ~Love you too Baby!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a room.

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Because she would 'kill' me.Not really.When I was looking I wanted someone of the same faith(Catholic Alumni Clubs).That more than anything has helped us through the tough (no work-money) times.Its the respect for the others space. We talk about the major issues(usually money,family).She encourage's me to go to car events(she loves POCI conventions),train shows-we ahve a modular train club.We have been to Las Vegas,west virginia, Ohio,New York.We share times that we both enjoy-oldies dances and oldies on the local station.swimming.I save all the car, train ,construction 'stuff' she has her woman 'stuff'.It was the same rearing we got I guess to 'work' through life. It was 30yrs last May 26.Now my truck is up on the lease.I thought about anew one but we talked and I'm gonna buy it.we are 62. Besides she had long black hair-to her waist when we met and she didn't smoke.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been 37 years earlier this month...

High schools sweethearts. I used to pit for her older brother at the local dirt track before we married.

Racing is a shared passion.

The GTO is mine, the Camaro her's and the Caddy is ours.

We both love to travel and do new and different things. Been as far north as Churchill, Manitoba to see the Polar Bears, as far south as Venezeula, made a bobsled run at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary, snorkled a WWII shipwreck in Aruba, lived in Europe, been as far west as Hawaii, stood on ice so deep you could have put the Eifel Tower under our feet....

This summer our "big" trip is the Calgary Stampede - and we'll be staying at a working cattle ranch about an hour and a half south of Calgary.

Next year - a trip to Germany.

After that - hopefully a photo safari in Africa!