Old 01-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Default Seperating engine from tranny 1960

I may go ahead and rebuild my 60 389. When seperating the engine from the tranny, is it like newer cars, unbolt torque converter bolts from flex plate and unbolt tranny to engine bolts? I ask because I'm not certain if 4 spd hyro uses a torque converter.
I'd welcome any hints, tips, warnings etc for the rebuild.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah, that's pretty much it for the most part. The flywheel cover is a royal PITA to remove, even with the engine and trans out of the engine bay. I'd personally pull the engine and trans together as it's only a couple more steps and makes separating/mating them MUCH, MUCH easier. Make sure you have a strong cherry picker, and that its arm extends far enough (learned that lesson the hard way). Engine+4 speed hydro= TONS of weight. Use grade 8 bolts ONLY!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM

My entire front clip is off so I'll disconnect and remove engine alone. The tranny was already built. I wasn't going to rebuild it but since I have the front clip off to clean up and paint the car I figured I better go ahead because I would be pissed if I ended up having to remove after I reassemble and paint the car.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well...the TC unbolts as other do but...every other "nut" holds the converter (as such) to the flex pate..I forget how many ther are ? Be sure to support tranny in car if you are just pulling motor..
If your front clip is removed I would pull motor & tranny as suggested...JMO..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

They don't have torque converters and they're kind of tricky to undo. It's been a while since I did a 59/60 but I did a 63 not too long ago and they're weird

I think it's easier to pull the motor and tranny at the same time, even if the trans is good and doesn't need to come out.

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59safaricat View Post
... The flywheel cover is a royal PITA to remove...
What a bunch of crybabies! Only, what, ten bolts? That's a piece of cake, compared to the thirty fine-thread bolts holding the torus cover of an old Dual-Range HydraMatic.

That being said, I nevertheless agree that pulling the engine/trans together is more expedient.