The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Has anyone replaced their T3's with these..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I drive my car a lot, and the headlights are horrible at night.
I have been looking for something brighter without significantly changing the look.

These seem almost too good to be true,
original appearance with modern lighting.

I would love to hear opinions of anyone that has used them.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are a commonly available reproduction available from our host, or the manufacturer, Lectric Limited.

They're fine, work OK. Not bright like a halogen, but better than a used T3.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/lighting_fuse_sets.htm

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

while original lights arent like halogen,,have you put them on a headlight machine to get maximum candlewatt from them?
many times one will be off and lose alot of the lighted area

Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Those are a commonly available reproduction available from our host, or the manufacturer, Lectric Limited.

They're fine, work OK. Not bright like a halogen, but better than a used T3.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/lighting_fuse_sets.htm
Thank you.
The host does not advertise theirs as improved light, I did not realize they were the same.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try running the Headlamp ground wires directly to the Alternator Case, and see better what happens.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Try running the Headlamp ground wires directly to the Alternator Case, and see better what happens.
Happy Birthday And only 45, You lucky dog, Have a great one, Your friend Randy.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I rewired the headlights on the 64 Impala. They were horrible before! I was going to install a relay between the harness and each side to maximize power to the bulbs. Simple re-wiring and adding new bulbs fixed the issue and now they're great...

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 01-09-2010, 02:41 AM

What i run is a set of motorcycle lights. These will use h4 bulbs. Bolt right in like a sealed beam. I had to also run relays tho to not pop my headlight fuses. You will definatly need to adjust lights for the upper cutoff beam. My next stage is to eliminate the high beams and do a ram air type intake thru the high beam housing. (Ya like I ever get the time and money at same time.)

Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Chief

Ok,
wiring not an issue.

I know the "look" will not quite be right,
but I tend to favor function more.

Will a standard 6$ halogen
H5001 be a direct swap for my low and the H5002 for my hi beams?

I just want better light to drive at night with.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes......if...you correct the ground problems in 99% of our old cars
fresh grounds means getting the header pamel fastened with clean metal to metal and then the light grd wires to the header cleanly
many folks do what HIS said and many do what i think makes the most sense. Thats installing a relay to feed each side, that seems to guarantee max voltage to the lights.
Many old dimmer switches eat current as well as corroded contacts in the headlight switch itself, all the more reason to use the headlight switch and dimmer to control the relays only and let the relays transfer the heavy current.
Lots and lots of wiring diagrams for that on the net.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do a search on Ebay for aircraft landing lights. They make some that will fit right in.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken K View Post
Do a search on Ebay for aircraft landing lights. They make some that will fit right in.
If they're as crappy as the ones in our airplane, they won't last more than a few nights of driving in a car...

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

At least they look neat. Most of those old cars probably won't see much night driving.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
At least they look neat. Most of those old cars probably won't see much night driving.
I drove it home in the dark and rain hundreds of miles the first day I got it.
In the past year, I have only been in town for 9 of those months,
and I put a little over 3000 miles on it.

This time of the year, I cannot run an afternoon errand or drive it to work without ending up coming home in the dark.

Is 300 miles a month a respectable amount of driving for an old car?
A 69 GTO was my only car for a couple of years in HS.
It may have had 25 years less age on it, but it sure was in worse shape than this one.

I should PHS it.
I was always told it had been a RA 4 speed car originally.
I cannot find it anywhere now though.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Then what's the point in worrying about wiring, relays or even how bright the lights are?

Also, it's easy to land an airplane with no lights...heck, the landing light is really only fr others to see you...but try driving home with dead bulbs. Aircraft lights are a bad idea in cars...JMO

Old 01-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a set of them for a long time and they still work. I have not used them much. I am going to get another set because I like the way they look. The ones I have are made by GE. I see them around once in a while. Most of them are old stock. They make some that are 13V. You could probably get some off road lights to work also.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

actually, the wiring IS the problem (even when brand new off the showroom floor). the bulbs are perfectly fine when you give them 14 volts. relays are the only real solution. try pulling a bulb out and see what the voltage is. replacing the older style sealed-beams isn't effective if you're only giving the newer bulbs low voltage. http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...adlights.shtml

Old 01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I have had a set of them for a long time and they still work. I have not used them much.....
That's probably why they are still working. But, if they do what you want em' to then that's good. I just wouldn't recommend them to anyone that actually wants to use them alot.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for relays!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the plastic lenses with the h-4 style xenon bulbs and they are fantastic.