Old 01-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default LS1 GTO seats in a '66?

Has anyone done this, seen this, or otherwise have pics or any info? I saw a thread on LS1GTO I believe where someone put new GTO seats in a Lemans convertible, and he said the back seat fit just fine with not much modification if any. The front seats might fit but will probably mount an inch higher than stock, which he didn't like. Not to mention wiring everything up for power, I'd need to know what wires do what to mock up a harness.
I don't know if the extra inch of height to the seats will be a huge difference for me, as I don't have an interior in my GTO at all anyway. Actually, if I could I'd love to just put manual sliders on the seats.
I'm not sure how this will look but I'll have to think about it. For all I know it could be one of those "well it looked good on paper" type things, but it might be nice. I have been finding some decent deals on new GTO seats, and since I don't have any seats in my car at all, it might be nice to get some. The new seats look more comfortable than originals too, plus if I could get power going it might not be bad (although added weight might suck).
Here's the link I found. Thanks.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242182

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM

I have just about finished my swap and can take some pics tommorow of mine. I am using 2005 gto seat in a 67 lemans convert. Wiring is not that hard at all for the power seats, you just need 12 volts and a ground wire. As for the height I used the factory bucket mounts and made brackets to adapt the gto seats to it.I alsoremoved the front headrests becuase they looked to high for me. They could probably come down another 3/4" but I am going to see how they feel driving first. As for the back seats I shortened them by 6 inches so this way the top would not hit them going up or down. Let me know if you have any questions

Old 01-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

No questions so far as this is still all up in the air. Actually, would there be any difference between your convertible and a regular coupe? I'm just wondering if I'd actually need to lower the rears 6", seems like a lot of work.
I'm still weighing the pros and cons of this, it seems that if the seats look good in this car, I'll probably put them in. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than the originals and probably more comfortable.
I found a couple of sites with pics.
Anyway, here are a couple of sites.
http://www.classicresto.com/mambo/co...iew/36/43/1/7/
This is a '65 with custom interior. I'm not really a fan of the colors but the seats themselves look good.

There are quite a few more pics, scroll down on that link to the bottom.
Here's another car off the same site, a '67 that I like a lot better:

Old 01-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another site, sort of a write-up with pics:
http://iegtoclub.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1198452726

I'd like to just put a basic black set of seats in. The point is to get that comfort from those seats and I'm wanting to do sort of a hybrid pro-touring type car out of mine, so those seats would do well with a stiffer/more responsive suspension. I'd plan to upgrade the suspension and brakes and all that, but don't completely go all-out, I'd like to retain a lot of its stock form.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

I've seen it done a few times.

I think it looks good in a convertible...but a bit too much for a hardtop (not enough room)

Of course, do what you like =]

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 01-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's the only thing I'm afraid of, headroom mostly. I don't know how much higher they'll be compared to stock. I heard someone say 1" in the front but I don't completely know.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM

I have the fronts done in my '67 GTO Hardtop and working on the rears now. All I can say about the fronts so far is that they are a dream to sit in. By far the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in. The fronts bolted in to the outer most bolt hole and required a bracket to bolt in to the inner bolt holes.

The rears take a little more manufacturing. I received most of my help from a guy who did this in a 65 hardtop and he massaged the floor pan a little to get his to fit the way he wanted. I am doing the same in my hardtop. A guy my size (6'0) driving and a guy my size in the back would be slightly uncomfortable for both but not by much. If you plan to have smaller rear passengers like I do this shouldn't pose a problem.

I hope this helps and I can send more info from the guy I received help from on this if you like. He has pretty decent photos on a website.

Good Luck!!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm also 6'0 or thereabouts, I don't really plan on having anybody sit in the back but I never know. I was almost thinking about just putting the new GTO seats in and keep the original bench in the rear but that wouldn't look right at all.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:07 PM

My goat had the original bench in there with the new seats for about a year before I couldn't take it anymore and started the rear swap.

I think it will be sweet once I am done but fitting and refitting is taking some time. The fronts only took me about a day to get in and were so worth it.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've 2006 fronts in my '65 and may try the rear someday. I had to move them inboard about 1" from the factory mounts to get them low enough and to clear the body mount recess in the floor that's right in the middle of the door. They are pretty tall indeed but don't look out of place, IMO, even with the headrests. Wiring was easy.

I am actually contemplating modifying some Scat/Procar universal mounts to make things a little safer. I never liked seats that just bolt to the sheetmetal floors.

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought I read somewhere that someone makes universal brackets/mounts for the GTO seats?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those 05 LS1 GTO seats look great installed in the 65 and 67. But the grey ones in the 66 look the best, and they look so F'in comfortable too. Thanks for the links Codyyy.

Now to start looking for a set for my 66. Or, even a set of Recaros will do if I can't find the LS1s.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Those 05 LS1 GTO seats look great installed in the 65 and 67. But the grey ones in the 66 look the best, and they look so F'in comfortable too. Thanks for the links Codyyy.

Now to start looking for a set for my 66. Or, even a set of Recaros will do if I can't find the LS1s.
On eBay I found a set of red GTO seats, front and rear for like $600 for the set. Normally they seem to go from about that price up to $1000 (I'd assume depending on what level of options they have like dual power lumbar support etc.), which really still isn't that bad considering my position. I'd have to either find a set of restored seats or buy all the pieces. It seems that cores go for anywhere between $250-500 for buckets, then add new foam and upholstery, maybe labor to have a pro put them on... it would probably either even out or cost more money to put the originals in.
I was thinking of Recaros as well, maybe an older set. BMW has some nice Recaro seats, VW does too somewhat, but those are expensive. Then again new Recaro seats in general are.
Scat/Procar makes some real nice seats as well, Summit has the Rally Series 1000s that look real nice, however kinda expensive. They have lowback ones which would kinda look right in this car, though.

Last edited by codyyy; 01-04-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only concerns I have right now are the height of the seats and legroom (I doubt that legroom will be a concern though, the seats look like they are placed fine), and the weight thing. I've read that these seats are like 55-65 pounds for each bucket. I'm not sure if that will affect me because I won't be racing this car but still, in some aspects I'd like to keep it simple.
I'll plan on making some custom brackets for this, I can weld so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 PM

I don't think you will have a height problem, I am 6'3" and have plenty of leg room. 600 seems high to me for the seats, just look around and you should be able to find a set cheaper. My red ones where 375 for the fronts and back in good shape. I'll try and get some pics this weekend of mine.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I don't care for is that back seats out of the 05 GTO. Only 2 place where the 66 could carry 3 adults back there. So those 05s I wouldn't put in.

To make the front 05 buckets a bit more compatable, I'd have the same center sections of the 66 bucket upholstery sown in to match the look of the 66's front and backseat. I was thinking of dooing the same to a set Recaro or Corbou buckets.... but those 05 seats look too good not to try and use.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyT View Post
I don't think you will have a height problem, I am 6'3" and have plenty of leg room. 600 seems high to me for the seats, just look around and you should be able to find a set cheaper. My red ones where 375 for the fronts and back in good shape. I'll try and get some pics this weekend of mine.
Wow, that's a great price. I'd love to get a set of basic black seats for around that price instead of the expensive eBay prices. Usually they are about 800-1000 there.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I did fronts in my 66 Catalina. The seats are amazing to sit in, probably one of the best factory GM seats in a production car. I had to make rear brackets to get the seats to bolt in properly along with run the power/ground for the seats tracks to work. I also left the headrests out for the low-back bucket look. The only thing I don't like is the bulky plastic side cover and the black tilt lever, I'm still thinking on what to do with them. Overall pretty easy job though, just takes some time, patience and a little creativity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030643.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	192943   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030646.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	192945   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030648.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	192946   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030656.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	192947  

Old 01-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Few more installed pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030653.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	192948   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030657.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	192949   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030658.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	192950  

Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow those look great. Looks like you reupholstered them right too. I always liked the look of Catalinas though.