Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Default Hub/spindle questions

Wondered if you big car guys could help me out with a couple of questions?

1) Is the hub/spindle the same on a 59-64 Impala/Belair the same as a Pontiac?

2) If so, is there any other spindle a 59-64 hub will work on? A-body/B-body/F-body? Could have the spindle machined if necessary? Found a full set of front/rear Baer brakes for the Chevy and wondering if there is anyway I could use them on my '64 Lemans?

Probably a long shot, but thought for the price it's always worth a try?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

I copied this to the 62 up section also.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 PM

Can't answer re the hub but the SPindles are Pontiac only. See your thread in the 65- 70 thread for details.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since you are wanting to convert a 64 LeMans anything that works on a big car may be irrelevent. And I thought there were a lot of disc conversions for 64 GTO so the LeMans is probably the same. Since most after market suppliers seem to think that cars were invented in 64 you really have plenty of options.

But if you want to do enough cross referencing in parts books a lot of things might be possible. For instance - I have a 61 Ventura with 68-82 Corvette discs all around. It has the Corvette spindles, hubs, caliper mounts (modified by me) and calipers. Previous owner figured out that the ball joint tapers were the same and would interchange. Although I think the spindle is 1 inch taller that the Pontiac. But by putting on the Corvette spindles and steering arms the Corvette brakes could be installed. And that converted from ball to roller bearings at the same time. Good deal.

Rears are a different problem as you need to be mindful of the pattern for the four bolts at the end of the axle housing. Evey rear axle and manufacturer seems to have their own design. I suspect the LeMans pattern may be different than the big car. I could check it out but I don't want to do all the fun work for you. And most likely when LeMans went from an independent rear to a solid axle in 64 the pattern changed. BUt to what?

You should be able to convert a 64 LeMans without a lot of big problems and the conversion is well worth the effort. I had a 64 GTO in 64-67 and the brakes were about the only really bad design decision they made.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by general View Post
Wondered if you big car guys could help me out with a couple of questions?

1) Is the hub/spindle the same on a 59-64 Impala/Belair the same as a Pontiac?

2) If so, is there any other spindle a 59-64 hub will work on? A-body/B-body/F-body? Could have the spindle machined if necessary? Found a full set of front/rear Baer brakes for the Chevy and wondering if there is anyway I could use them on my '64 Lemans?

Probably a long shot, but thought for the price it's always worth a try?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

I copied this to the 62 up section also.
Since your LeMans is an "A" body why not just go with the plentiful 69-72 GTO/LeMans/Chevelle "A" body disc set up that's essentially a bolt on for all 64-72 "A" bodies?
But to answer your question, the hubs will fit, they will space the wheel mounting surface inward about 3/8", they both use A6-A2 bearings. You may need to use double washers under the spindle nut. But, the caliper mounting brackets won't interchange so you'll still need to fab some caliper brackets, better to buy an existing kit for the "A" body in my opinion.