Old 12-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Can somebody cross a fel-pro head gasket # for me?

I've been searching the internet for confirmation on a fel-pro head gasket number. Bought on ebay as a 59 Pontiac 389 gasket but I wanna make sure as I'm using it as reference to find if I can bolt the later heads on my early motor....my gaskets have stamped in them "Fel-Pro 529075" and "GM" also.Anybody confirm they're for a 59, 389? They appear to have the same holes as a known later head gasket...Hmmmmmmmmmm
Thanks in advance..

Old 12-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to 1960 Pontiac Master Parts Catalog, 529075 is the GM part number for 1958-1960 Pontiac head gaskets.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the catalog does list 529075 for 58-60 and other numbers for other applicatons. But Ames gives one number for all 58-77. So it might appear that all bolt patterns are the same. Try another source like NAPA or even Rock Auto and see what range of years they give for head gaskets. If they are all the same number then probably any heads will bolt on. But check some other recent posts about heads. I think I remember one recently that got into the subject of water flow changes in various years. Some year Pontiacs had a "reverse" water flow through the heads so maybe a head change also requires a water pump change and perhaps some other parts as well. Off hand I don't remember what year made the change but it may not be as simple as getting later heads and turning wrenches.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks, fellas