Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Tell me the truth about my '66 Catalina

Hey guys:

I'm in intense personal deliberation about what to do with the '66 Catalina sedan that I own.I know there are many, many of you here that have owned a lot of Pontiacs, restored them, know what they are worth in your sleep, etc, so I would like to hear honest opinion on my car based on the description.

I'm not really looking for valuation...more along the lines of.."if it were mine I would do _____, or if I were buying it I would use it for ____ or do ____ to it."

The reason is that I know what I would LIKE to do with it but I'm realistic enough to know that there's a big difference in what I can do, or will do and what I would LIKE to do.

So, here's what it is:

1966 Catalina post sedan. Charcoal blue, blue int. 290hp 2bbl 389, automatic, factory air conditioning all complete. No other options. Engine runs very well, trans works fine, needs brake work.

Exterior is very solid, just minor surface rust here and there and faded paint. 2 small dents at the edges of the headlight surrounds.Bumpers fine and rust free.Glass is all good.

There is NO rust or rot in the rockers, fenders or quarters. It's a southern car and floors and frame are great. The trunk floor has some rot, maybe not enough to even need an entire pan yet.

The interior is the worst part. It has had periodic water intrusion, so the carpet and seats are done for. Door panels and headliner are good. There is surface rust growing on the lower metal parts of the dash and A-pillar trims and several pieces of chromed pot metal are bubbling.

I still have the original B&S keys and all the paperwork and protecto-plate.

This is not a sale offer, because it's not. I just would like to hear feedback on it.

Thanks guys.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

"post sedan" is redundant.

What, exactly, is it you're looking to have us tell you?

Pictures of your car might help.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Drive it and enjoy. Make it safe. Change all the bushings, shocks, maybe springs. Use scarebirds disc brake set up. Tune it up. Maybe some new wheels and tires.
Installe a 4bbl some long branch exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. Mabee a posi. Fabcraft is making the 3.55 for series one carriers.. Its your car have fun
Blue charcaol is a great color..

patrick

Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Why is "post sedan" redundant? That's what it is...it isn't a hardtop sedan with no post between the doors.

I'm posting this because I'm curious what would happen to it if I put it up for sale.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

A hardtop does not have the post and a sedan does have the post. That's what Scott meant by his comment. I agree that pictures would help.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 PM

Make it safe and Drive it.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

You said you know what you would LIKE to do with it..what is that?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the terminology...I thought they were all sedans.

What I would LIKE to do is have a pristine car and do all the work to make it such.

However, I don't have the time or quite possibly the ambition. I can do ANYTHING mechanical, and I can do interior things in bits and pieces, but I lose interest when there's a big project facing me. I don't think I'll ever be the person that takes a car down to a shell and rebuilds it, at least not as long as I have to work full-time.

Anyway, I plan to keep the car, but the thought of selling it has crossed my mind a couple times, and I was afraid if I did, it would be cut up to use all the pieces on other cars just because it's a 4-door.

I'll get some pictures up, hopefully over the weekend if not before.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 AM

BTW< do you have a pic of this car?

Post it up if so.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

Make 'er safe and drive it

I wouldn't try restoring it. Too much $$$, energy and whatnot.
Buy one 'done' if what you really want is a restored car. Should be able to find a 4-door ridiculously cheap, compared to the price of restoring one

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 11-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_ View Post
Make 'er safe and drive it

I wouldn't try restoring it. Too much $$$, energy and whatnot.
Buy one 'done' if what you really want is a restored car. Should be able to find a 4-door ridiculously cheap, compared to the price of restoring one
Ditto!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go find the car that you want this one to be, buy it, and sell this one. You will be far ahead in time, money, and quality of life.
Even cars that are very good to excellent always need little tweaks, and that should be more than enough for you.
Tough to come out even on restoring a non rare fullsize car. Even tougher on a 4 door.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with the others. Either drive it and enjoy it or sell it as is and find a done car. You can find a very, very nice 60's big Pontiac 2dr for less than 20 grand. If you really want a 4 door, it would probably be hard to find anyone who has restored one, so you'll be looking for a nice original. They are out there for 10k or less. Either the 2dr or 4dr would be WAY less than you could restore one and do it right.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A '66 Cat 4dr Sedan is a great driver.

IMO, unless you want to practice/develop restoration skills on a car that won't be missed if you eff it up (I say that because there are probably a dozen mint survivors for sale right now across America), just drive the car and enjoy the HELL out of it. You should be good for 150,000 miles before anything needs replacement.

Even the stock brakes are fine, provided you go thru them as an insurance policy.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:00 AM

Bought my Bonnie as a learner car.

Love the HE)) outa big cruisers like it.

After 2 years so far have learned alot from my mistakes on this one. Lots of time invested, a bit of cash. Lots of enjoyment in the learning process. (Had never painted, body worked a car, desidned parts for make up, etc.)

Engine tranny running good, rear end a bit weak. suspention needs attention.

This car was too far gone for a real nice resto. Trunk very bad, covered in metal and fiberglass now, as is the interior floor.

Keep the car, modify it over time, if you find a real nice body set up, like a convert, or a 2 dr, or a 4 oor with no post, fix it nice then transfer the engine and tranny to it. There are many of these older big cars that the engines or tranys or both have been taken for a GTO or such. They bolt in to em.

Maybe try your hand at some body work and paint. If it isnt perfect are you still wrong? But remember your mistakes on this one, then apply the learned techniches to a dream car.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

It's a 4-door, so don't put a lot of $$ into it. If you want to keep it, throw on some aftermarket seat covers & foam, a $139 set of carpets, add a 4BBL for some fun, and wait for Maaco to have their $299 paint job sale (do the prep work yourself, because it isn't included at that price). Fun cruise night car.

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com