Old 09-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Default bumper exhaust stains

My exhaust is staining (blue,gold colors)the chrome on my nice rear bumper on my 70GTO. I have the proper exhaust tips set at the correct distances. For 40 years never a problem, any idea's why this is? What is the solution?

Thanks

Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I noticed the same thing on my `70 one day in the garage over the winter and my heart skipped a beat. Last resort, used some plain ole turtle wax to remove it, Why it happens, i donot know, but assume it is associated with the lead additive or octane boost i use?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine does it too - I use Meguiar's ScratchX to take it off - works great. Could be from the ethanol content in pump gas, most of which is now 10% blend.

BJ

Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 PM

Same here - after each long ride I apply some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and it comes right off. I don't let it build up too much/long because I remember back in the 70s seeing the 70/71 GTO's rear bumpers peeling right above the exhaust cutouts where it darkens, which I assume was from the exhaust.

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,4,12

00 Accord
06 GTO
70 GTO
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM

I'll try giving it a cleaning, just disappointed, looks ugly. One thing I did not install were the rubber flaps that fit above each exhaust tip. I could not find any info. on those. Anyone have a photo of how those install and what is the prupose????

Thanks

Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

The flaps were mostly for water from the wheel well area, I dont think they will help much with the bumper staining. I have originals (flaps) on my Judge and it still stains the bumper.

I think this has always been a problem of sorts, if you watch "Two lane Blacktop" you will see it on the 70 GTO in the movie and its less then a year old car at the time. Its just something you have to clean about every time you take the car out no way around it unless you want to run the tips out farther then stock but we all know how that looks.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Yes, just like GOATFF71 stated, its something you should do after each ride. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to apply to the entire bumper (I do) and wipe off. I have noticed that the bottom of the trunk (where the GTO decal is) and the sides of the quarter panels next to the trunk bottom also gets stained. I didn't notice it until the sun was hitting it in a certain angle one day but wax quickly took care of that as well.

00 Accord
06 GTO
70 GTO
Old 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM

I'll add waxing to my daily chores! How about the rubber flaps. Any info / photos on those. I think they attach to the body behind the bumper, 2 holes.