Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Original or New A/C System?

Hi guys, I'm interested in opinions regarding whether to restore the 1970 GTO A/C to original, or convert to a Sanden compressor and enjoy improved efficiency.

I plan on R-12 in either case.

I have restored this car with an eye towards "subtle" upgrades which improve the overall impact of driving the car. Things that were upgraded were bolt on items easily changed back to original if desired. I'd have to tell the average person about all the little changes, as you would probably never notice otherwise.

Here's the dilemma, I'm about to put the A/C system back together and feel the Sanden setup with a more modern accumulator would provide the best A/C system. The problem is that visually it's clearly not original.

If you were looking at this car to purchase, would this detail be a total turn off?

Thanks to all for their opinions, Matt

Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion is: Original. I do not like seeing the aftermarket A/C stuff in cars at all. I've got A/C in my 71 and I can't think of any need for it to be "more efficient", that car gets colder than my "modern" vehicles do.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would go for the original look. Easier to get parts too and most places can work on them.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Running R-12, it'll be plenty cold. The efficiency improvements come in less HP loss to the compressor, cooler engine temps, cycling operation, etc.

Your point it duly noted as I'm kinda fond of seeing an all original engine bay.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The A6 compressor is a tractor, good and bad, very original, runs forever, and very inefficient compared to a Saden. If I saw a Saden under the hood of a car I was looking to purchase it would not turn me away unless I just didn't plan to use it much. I instantly recognize it's efficiency over the A6 and if I am planning on using it much it's a favorable consideration and while not original I know it can be changed back. I love the original look of any component, my Lemans is an original A/C survivor but my Firebird is not and it will get a Saden when the time comes.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***

Last edited by quicksilver97ta; 07-30-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of info here...
http://www.autoacforum.com/categorie...d=2&zb=6555762

david

Old 08-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original works very well even if converted to R134. The compressor and the condenser are both over engineered.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'm gonna stick with the A-6 and all the stock components. After doing a lot of research on whether or not to keep the POA or convert to the POA update, I decided on rebuilding my original POA and getting all new goodies front to rear.

Has anyone purchased anything from Old Air Products? Any reviews?