Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 06-27-2009, 08:41 PM

Default 1967 gto calipers

just pick up a frnt disk assmbly for a 67 gto and was wondering if i would be able to use any other cheaper calipers becuse to pick up a set of new 67 calipers frm autozone it omes out to almost $400.thanxx

Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is set up for 4-piston calipers. You'll need a disc brake master cylinder also.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe someone else can confirm, but I think you can swap in newer calipers, up to 1972 or so.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The '67 spindles are the same as for '69-'72, but you will need to get get new caliper brackets to use the '69 to '72 calipers. Reproductions brackets are pretty cheap now.
The dust shields are a little different too.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM

I think you can as mentioned above but I question why other than cost and parts avail would you do so? The 67-68 calipers are a really nice 4 piston fixed caliper design that performance wise was heads above the later sliding calipers that Gm started using for cost reasons.

The sliders are ok, but no question about it, the 4 piston calipers are nice to have. Make sure you get the factory style proportioning valve too.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:28 AM

i have the original prop valve but i dnt know if its any good.....how can i tell if its good??and if its bad which one should i use??srry bout all the questions but this is the last thing to bet the car bak on the road

Old 07-02-2009, 12:37 PM

Easy...if it is original, it is no good. Time and brake fluid are not kind to these things.

There are reproductions out there. Companies that will rebuild your original (white post resotoration). As well as units that look different but have identical internals. Rebuild kits may be availible as well.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:40 PM

where should i look to find a similar valve?? summit???

Old 07-06-2009, 03:00 PM

http://www.inlinetube.com/

They should have everything you need. There is also a distribution block with the brake warning switch on the frame rail I believe.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassJ View Post
I think you can as mentioned above but I question why other than cost and parts avail would you do so? The 67-68 calipers are a really nice 4 piston fixed caliper design that performance wise was heads above the later sliding calipers that Gm started using for cost reasons.

The sliders are ok, but no question about it, the 4 piston calipers are nice to have. Make sure you get the factory style proportioning valve too.
I am trying to figure out if you are serious here. The 67-68 calipers were heavy, notorious leakers, and GM perfected their combo valves in 1971 - a design they used till ABS came out.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

Is a ducks ass watertight?

All kidding aside. The 65-68 GM and Ford fixed calipers are still being copied today by the likes of Brembo, stoptech, etc. A 4+ piston fixed caliper is by far a better design by way of ridgidity, pedal feel and performance. Just my 0.02 of course. They are indeed heavy. But still not much worse than the last set of Brembo F50's I bought when you consider the weight of everything else on the car.

As far as leaks..they were somewhat more prone to that. But with regular brake fluid flushing they are certainly less horrible than some later GM designs, particularly those nasty caddy rear calipers with the intergrated parking brake. We rebuilt ours in 1990, threw in silicone brake fluid, and they have not dripped a bit. I bleed the system and throw in fresh fluid every four years or so.

Dad is the original owner of ours, bought it new in 1967. The car still has the original calipers (with new pistons and seals). The car was driven daily till 1980. The calipers had seals replaced once prior to the complete rebuild and the switch to silicone fluid.

The proportioning valve was never touched until approx 1990 when the entire system was redone. From what I know, the car always stopped evenly with no issues. I have had no issues with it whenever I have driven it.

What is odd is that every other car I have tried running silicone brake fluid in was a nightmare (probably the GTO and 4 others at this point). The first, and only, car that silicone brake fluid actually worked well in was the goat.

There is certainly nothing wrong with sliding calipers, they work, are lighter, etc. But for my money, I would bolt the 4 piston calipers up to the car every day of the week.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassJ View Post
Is a ducks ass watertight?

All kidding aside. The 65-68 GM and Ford fixed calipers are still being copied today by the likes of Brembo, stoptech, etc. A 4+ piston fixed caliper is by far a better design by way of ridgidity, pedal feel and performance. Just my 0.02 of course. They are indeed heavy. But still not much worse than the last set of Brembo F50's I bought when you consider the weight of everything else on the car.

As far as leaks..they were somewhat more prone to that. But with regular brake fluid flushing they are certainly less horrible than some later GM designs, particularly those nasty caddy rear calipers with the intergrated parking brake. We rebuilt ours in 1990, threw in silicone brake fluid, and they have not dripped a bit. I bleed the system and throw in fresh fluid every four years or so.

Dad is the original owner of ours, bought it new in 1967. The car still has the original calipers (with new pistons and seals). The car was driven daily till 1980. The calipers had seals replaced once prior to the complete rebuild and the switch to silicone fluid.

The proportioning valve was never touched until approx 1990 when the entire system was redone. From what I know, the car always stopped evenly with no issues. I have had no issues with it whenever I have driven it.

What is odd is that every other car I have tried running silicone brake fluid in was a nightmare (probably the GTO and 4 others at this point). The first, and only, car that silicone brake fluid actually worked well in was the goat.

There is certainly nothing wrong with sliding calipers, they work, are lighter, etc. But for my money, I would bolt the 4 piston calipers up to the car every day of the week.
I do not buy that. Another issue 4 piston calipers had was that the pistons would cock and hang up in the bore. Ford also had this issue, and in 68 went to a single slider. GM stick with 4 piston on the Corvette, going to single in 84. Few manufacturers use more than dual piston.

The 79-85 Eldo rears are ok - you MUST engage the parking brake every time you shut off the motor to prevent the pistons from freezing up.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:17 PM

I am not here to argue any points nor am I selling anything. Buy whatever story you want. You are defending your product which is fine, I have heard nothing but great things about your kits.

With that said, I own two mid 60's cars with 4 piston calipers (one ford, one GM). Both are absolutely trouble free, stop great, and are stock as delivered from the factory to boot. Both have the original calipers they left the factory with, no bore relining. Just good pistons and seals.

I have also owned a number of single piston caliper cars with great calipers, and a couple with so so calipers such as the single piston chrysler caliper from the 70s.

I have converted a couple of cars (late model and 80's vintage) to fixed calipers and in every case pedal feel and modulation was greatly improved.

Fixed calipers can provide better performance than single or dual piston sliders. Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari, Ford, Mercedes etc etc etc, ALL of their premium products are equipped with fixed calipers, some with floating hubs, some without.

Are the advantages worth the money to your average muscle car owner? Probably not. But without a doubt, they are a better performing, albeit more costly option.