Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Default GTO Steeringrbox Turns

I need to replace my current original Steering box. The one I have is quite worn. I do not know the number of turns on orginal. I can buy one that has 2 1/4 to 3 or 3 1/4 to 4 1/4 . Which would be better or closer to original on 65 GTO. thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2 1/4 to 3 is the closer ratio box. I have done this swap, and the cost for the box new with a life time warranty was $129.00 from Auto Zone. Box was made my Cardon? Something like that. And, they make some of the best parts you can get for both newer and older replacements. Also make a huge amount of just about everything related to cars and trucks from window motors, to window motors and well lots of things. They have a web page you can view and look up a zillion parts for old and brand new cars. But, either way the 2.75 to 3 is the closer box. Be sure to check your PS pump and lines, otherwise a new box is just part of the upgrade. Also sold at the same place, my discount parts store is named AutoZone. one word... Mike

Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be VERY CAREFUL when attempting to judge the gear ratio inside a steering box by counting the turns lock-to-lock.

Since there's more than one kind of steering stop, a box that has fewer turns lock-to-lock may just have more restricted travel, and not a faster ratio.

Unless you compare the ANGLE that the pitman arm moves against the turns lock-to-lock, you won't know the gear ratio.

How do I know this? I put a steering gear from a NOVA onto my El Camino; the NOVA box had fewer turns lock-to-lock--but--now it takes forty acres to make a U-turn.

The GM "A" body '64--'72 needs steering stops with a lot of angular travel for the pitman arm.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think 4-1/2 lock to lock is factory 65.I replaced my 65 power box with a Lares rebuilt box that has IROC-Z internals and 2-1/2 turns lock to lock.It is WAY better than the old stock box.It looks stock and accepts stock SAE hoses,some later boxes use metric threads for the hose ends.I also used my stock pump.Turning radius is a bit wider now but not so much as to be a problem.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you tell the parts store what car it's going into. They have the part numbers from the manfacture of the box. Who, takes all these things into consideration. I bought the one for my 66 A body and one for my 68 F body.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Angular travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Be VERY CAREFUL when attempting to judge the gear ratio inside a steering box by counting the turns lock-to-lock.

Since there's more than one kind of steering stop, a box that has fewer turns lock-to-lock may just have more restricted travel, and not a faster ratio.

Unless you compare the ANGLE that the pitman arm moves against the turns lock-to-lock, you won't know the gear ratio.

How do I know this? I put a steering gear from a NOVA onto my El Camino; the NOVA box had fewer turns lock-to-lock--but--now it takes forty acres to make a U-turn.

The GM "A" body '64--'72 needs steering stops with a lot of angular travel for the pitman arm.
I agree with all your comments. A lot of guys here have had good luck with the Cardone box from the chain stores but not me. I got a quick ratio cardone box for my 67 and it took the 40 acres U-turn also. I sent an email to the tech. folks at cardone and they replied that their quick ratio boxes are re-manfactured with 60 degrees total travel. All of my digging and reasearch says that the "A" body cars should have 87 degrees total travel. I now have a jeep cherokee box in my car and the cardone box is sitting in the garage collecting dust. I think the cardone box would work well on an "F" body though.

#13 Heads -J069
Q'Jet .
8.2 Eaton Posi/3:55