Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just How Brittle are Exhaust Manifold Bolts?

I'm ready to put headers on my 462 ci engine. It was built in 2006 and had stock log exhaust manifolds installed. Don't remember if I used anti-seize on the threads of the bolts.
One exhaust shop declined to do the de-install and installation of the headers, the owner said he was concerned that a bolt would break and thereby turn into a really long and difficult job.
Any hints or suggestions??
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Soak em good with some PBLaster maybe again the next day, and see what happens. Probably not even have to do that. Likely come right off anyway, but I'd spray em anyhow just cause.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess you just learned how important it is to anti-seize exhaust bolts EVERY TIME WITHOUT FAIL.

Then you don't have to be questioning yourself like this...

Old 06-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some old guy I know recommended trying to tighten the bolt a little bit before beginning to loosen it, this seems to break it loose without breaking the bolt as easy. Don't know the science behind it, but the guy that told me this was working at a Ford dealership since 1965.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple thought here in addition to what was said. Could also hit the top of each bolt head with a ball peen hammer to "shock" the bolt, similar deal to tightening the bolt first. If given decent time the penetrant works good sometimes and sometimes you just end up going through the motions. At this point it's like being a little pregnant either you are or you not . So you either start loosening bolts and see how lucky you are, and i think they'll come on out fine, or see how many break. really nothing else to do other than leave the bolts where they are and that's not really an option.

If any do break off, depending on where they do break , go on and get the manifold off and out of the way and then deal with the broken ones. The ones that break off with bolt left out of the head will come out quite easily, use some parrafin and heat, penetrant etc. There won't be a drw load on the bolt then so it'll usually come right out, with help of some good vise grips. The ones that don't and bust off flush with the head will need some good easy outs, and I don't mean from wallyworld.

Soak em for a day or so and see what ya got, really no other way.Just gotta see what you'll see.

Thought for the day.... the original bolts on a car 40 years old will be exactly how dry compared to yours now????

Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the stock manifolds were put back on just 3 years ago, you shouldn't have any problems. It's the manifolds that have been rusting on their for 40+ years that usually give the problems. I would follow the above advise and go for it. I've never had any problems with any bolts that were installed just a few years ago.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71firebird400 View Post
Some old guy I know recommended trying to tighten the bolt a little bit before beginning to loosen it, this seems to break it loose without breaking the bolt as easy. Don't know the science behind it, but the guy that told me this was working at a Ford dealership since 1965.
That is what I learned a long time ago about loosening bleeder screws. An old timer taught me that too. When I tell people that they look at me like I'm crazy,but I have not snapped one yet in over 25 years wrenching.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

i'm not a betting kind of guy, but if i were, i'd say they would come right off.
i live in new york where salt is used on the roads in the winter. i work on alot of daily drivers. except for the cheap exhaust pipes and muffler clamps, after only a few years, you should be able to get just about anything off.
manifold bolts are higher up on the engine, i'd say they will come right off. you could spray them just to lube them up a little so they come out easier.
i like using the high heat anti-seize compund.