Old 02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Electrical problem

I had an am radio converted and it now has RCA inputs. The radio works fine but when I use the RCA inputs, I get interference when I use the blinker and or accelerate. The problem is worse when the car is cold. Now when the lights and other accessories, like the heater are on the interference disappears or is very minimal. I do have a high output alternator installed. I was thinking that the alternator may be sending the interference, (via a hard charge) when I accelerate? If that is the case maybe some kind of resistor could be installed? I was also thinking that since the radio has a light that I have hooked up to the dimmer, that this could also be the problem when the blinker is used? Any ideas are welcome....as always thanks!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since the interference only happens on the aux. in, I would try using shielded cables to your external player.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andretti View Post
Since the interference only happens on the aux. in, I would try using shielded cables to your external player.
Good idea! Also consider using a power input filter/regulator for the 12 volts to the acc. player and to your am radio

Old 02-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great ideas guys! Thanks.......

Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook View Post
Great ideas guys! Thanks.......
Well I added the ground as you suggested, so far it seems to be working and my lights within the cluster are brighter to-boot! It seems to have fixed my other problem with the radio cutting out when I use the RCA inputs while the car is running, I figure since the radio has a light that is connected to the dimmer, grounding the cluster might have made the difference....... :-), thanks so much QUICK-SILVER