Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM

Default 66 DASH LIGHTS

I have the dash out in my 68 Firebird.Theres a black wire coming off one of the dash lights. Looks like it's been cut,or a really clean brake.Ithink it's a ground but not sre.Anybody know where it goes.Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it wire or fiber optic cable that went to the ash tray or something?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM

The wire is fiber optic.What for?You posted before about running another wire to ground the dash.Do I drill a new hole in the housing for the ground? Thanks

Old 06-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The fiber optic line, on that one light socket, butted up next to the bulb and light would shine through it like a small flashlight. It normally ran to a clip in the ash tray frame so you could see it in the dark, with the tray open that is. May have went to cig lighter but I don't think so. Been 35 years since I had a 69 bird so some of this is hard to remember.

If you are going to add a ground wire, use one of the existing metal screws in the back of the instrument cluster, there's no need to drill new. Steering column bracket is good solid source for ground. You'll need two different size ring terminals and just make sure the metal is clean.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 AM

Thanks for all the help.Fiber optics in 68, who knew.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fiber optic cable on cars has been around for awhile. Older (than yours) high end vehicles had little lights on top of the fenders so you could tell at night which bulbs were burning. High beam, low beam, park, turn, all done with fiber optics. Some had them above above the back window and you could look in the rear view mirror and see what was working.

Don't know why I was thinking 69 in that earlier post. But like I said it's been awhile since I had one of those. The 68's is a different story, I use to try and keep one of them all the time. Bad story, but still been a little over 13 years since I had one of them.

Anyhow
Have fun with yours and let us know if you need anymore help.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:01 PM

Interesting.Thanks again

Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Q-S, I had a 72 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with all those fiber optics to check the lights front and rear. Looked sharp at night and you knew when a light was out. Too bad they don't have the same set up for the idiots today, that can't be bothered to check their lights.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.