Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68' questions

Was there a fender emblem on cars with the 428 H.O. motor ? I have a few 31 spline posi pumpkins for 57/64 with different ratios, would a housing from a 60 Bonneville bolt into the 68 using the 68 control arms ? Does anyone reproduce the rubber emblem that mounts on the center of the front bumper ? What color is that piece supposed to be, mine looks like it was light gray ? I know the housing question is kind of goofy, but having the option of swapping from a 3:08 to a 3:73 or a 4:30 would sure be nice, if it only took an hour to do.
Bought a wide ratio 4sp last sat. Was thinking of making the car a 428 H.O. clone by just doing a #16 head swap and a pair of repo long branch manifolds. But now leaning towards doing a fresh 428 complete motor swap, question, will the 400 flywheel be compatable with a 428 ? thx for any help on any of these questions, finding out I am really lost when it comes to Pontiacs, 45 years of Chevs and Oldsmobiles leaves a guy with tunnel vision.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 428 cars had emblems on the front of the rocker panel moldings in 68. They would also have a 428 emblem on the radiator support and the center console.
The rear ends will not interchange, but the flywheel will.
As far as the front emblem, it is black rubber with silver paint. They do not re-pop the correct one, but Wheelspin used a Firebird one by cutting off the lower stud. Pat

Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

thx Pat