Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbanger View Post
Brian, why don't you just tell us what the answer needs to be.
Because I don't know the answer. I'm trying to open the discussion up on technical terms and so far I'm getting smart assed remarks. 1/2" broached the subject before going off a bit on a tangent, but nobody else has addressed my questions.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

45 degree seats will help d-ports with higher lift flow. HIS, Rhoads rocker arms?? Like Fasteddy said, cam it up! -Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The way I look at it is like this, if you have a head that maximum flow is at .550"lift ,and you have a cam that lifts the valve to .550",then you will only see the maximum flow point once. If you fit a cam with .650" lift to the same head,you will now see the maximum flow point twice-once as the lifter rises up the lobe and once as it goes back down the lobe. Whether you will see a power increase depends on if you can grind this cam to time these two points to occur when the piston is descending at it's highest speed or when the pulse from the header pipe reaches the valve/combustion chamber.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

taff2, that is pretty much what I had posted earlier but apparently that we "don't know that the hell we are talking about".

I think maybe the correct answer is, There is no reason to ever put a cam in a d-port motor that has over .550 lift. Okay good deal, we've got that figured out now.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No no no...you guys are getting your asses up on your back about this (well some of you). Go back and reread my questions. I fully understand the concept of having a little more lift than where the peak flow occurs. What I want to know is:

1.) How far past the lift where peak flow occurs do you go before diminishing returns are evident?
2.) Continuing from question 1, is there a formula to figure this out?
3.) How does velocity in the port correlate to flow levelling off (or dropping) at higher lifts past peak flow?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with the concept of drawing breath twice per event-if the heads do not go turbulant and lose flow after the max lift number.

My iron stalled at .600--did not tank but leveled off. I put a .640 lift roller in 'er. Works well-- making 650hp.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah Brian,that's the art of the cam designer,beyond my knowledge I'm afraid.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
No no no...you guys are getting your asses up on your back about this (well some of you). Go back and reread my questions. I fully understand the concept of having a little more lift than where the peak flow occurs. What I want to know is:

1.) How far past the lift where peak flow occurs do you go before diminishing returns are evident?
2.) Continuing from question 1, is there a formula to figure this out?
3.) How does velocity in the port correlate to flow levelling off (or dropping) at higher lifts past peak flow?
Good questions. I would bet SS racers have more info, they have been getting all they can from d-ports for years. Maybe Lynn McCarty will chime in. -Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it works like water or natural gas systems, then the velocity is proportional to the friction losses. So as the velocity gets so fast, the friction loss starts to eat up some of the increase in flow due to more valve lift. I havent seen any flow numbers reported on any head that went down as the lift went up so I cant really say that that condition really happens or not. I can see getting to a point where the lift is high enough to where the valve is not a restriction any more so you could take the valve out if you wanted and it would not increase the flow. It is hard for me to imagine a point where the flow would actually go down if you lifted the valve more.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are basically wanting to know what the optimum cam would be for this head.

You would need all the specs of the engine to see what it would need.
Bore, stroke, intake, crank, pistons, rings, flow rate of head, port length, plus quite a bit more.

Or do what the real guys do, lots of testing.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
You are basically wanting to know what the optimum cam would be for this head.

You would need all the specs of the engine to see what it would need.
Bore, stroke, intake, crank, pistons, rings, flow rate of head, port length, plus quite a bit more.

Or do what the real guys do, lots of testing.

No, I'm not wanting to know that. Listen, it doesn't matter what kind of port we are talking about being the principles that I am asking about can be applied to any port....we just happen to be talking about factory d-ports as a point of reference.

I'm in a nutshell asking how to determine optimal lift for a given port design based on test data (flow and velocity).

Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doesn't work that way.
Need more data.

You can use the ballpark figure of

minimum of lift: 24% times intake diameter
maximum of lift: 41% times intake diameter

Using 2.11" intake valve - .506" min lift; max .865" lift

This is for racing.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian I want to think Jim McFarland in one of his articles had something about valve lift at max piston velocity to get the best cylinder filling.

One thing to remember also when looking at flow and velocity if at higher lift the keep flowing more but the velocity is getting too high it may not help. I have a friend with some ported High Ports that at the pushrod bulge when they are at .800 and flowing 380-390 the velocity is getting really high so could be an issue.

I think it is still like John said "more area under the curve" so higher lift if not detrimental to flow and a better stability lobe is what can be used. Even though D ports nose over at .500 or so unported I know the SS guys in the 80s early 90s used high lift rollers in them also to get that.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-06-2009, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

N/SS guys are running over .800" with 980 heads.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
Good questions. I would bet SS racers have more info, they have been getting all they can from d-ports for years. Maybe Lynn McCarty will chime in. -Jim
That is what a dwell cam is for.

I would argue that the time passing through max lift twice is probabaly not as effective as having max lift for a determined time frame.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Optimal Intake Event for N/A engine:

1. Hit your self with some Geometry knowledge, & Open Excel. Or open HO-Racing's PMD Engine Theory thesis.
2. Study the Plot of Piston Velocity vs bore position. (feet/Sec vs Degrees TDC).
3. Ponder on the Maximal Velocity being where the Intake Value Ought Be Wide-Open.
4. NOT SHOWN: Ponder the OverLap Event being a STRONGER VACUUM pull than the Peak Velocity Event.

5. Wrestle the #3 & #4 events above to ponder if Intake Closing is as critical as alleged
for just ANY Cam & Application.
================================================== ===============
The interested student (<-- I always loathed/despised such textbook words) should be able to figure on EC & IO, IC, & EO events(Lifter up@0.050") as Rules-of-thumb for the 4.21"stroke PMD. Then knock 15degrees off for the 3.75"stroke PMDs.
================================================== ===============

Fundametal problems:
Intake: Bunched air really unbunches quickly, thus IC event vs RPM is difficult to analyze/predict due to low-lift flow improvements.

Exhaust: The Hyper-strong Exhaust Vacuum pull during Overlap can instantly become "Pressure" due to offfending Exhaust pulse from another CYL. Thus, Exhaust System & Head-Flange Exhaust leaks can really lean-out a single CYL from the Bunch. Power-Imbalance "feel" & Plug Readings become relevant.