Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Floating pins

What's it take to use stock rods with floating pins?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually just hone to fit.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,

It is "done", "floating" the rods just by honing the hole larger, but isn't really recommended. A steel pin and a steel rod (albeit cast steel) are not "good" together. We've seen many a small block done that way for circle track, but many failures go along with it.

The "right" way to do it is to have the rod eye bored to a larger size and install a bronze bushing, clearanced for the type of pin you're using.

There is no advantage to "floating" the pin at the RPM and power levels the cast rods are "good" for (they should be replaced, no matter WHAT you're building).

Jim

Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the deal is...
I recently bought a set of new pistons that are set up for floating pins and since I'm building a basically stock 400 I figured to use my stock rods that have already been resized, balanced and new arp's installed.
Hence the question.

Robert

Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cross your fingers

That might be ok. A lot of pistons/wrist pins can be run pressed or floating. Pistons set up for floating pins have the grooves for retainers cut in them, where press fits don't. The grooves might be the only difference in the pistons.
Need to do some measureing and see what you have. If the pins are the right size to press in the rods, just run them and forget the clips.
If pins are too big, hone to press fit is still an option.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The grooves are indeed, the only difference. As long as the pin has a wall thickness over .100", it will be fine in a "pressed pin" application. It's those really light/thin pins that MUST be "floated". For a relatively stock engine, there's no reason to NOT have "pressed" pins.

Jim

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok. I don't believe the pins are the very lite version so pressed is still an option. I think they are .980 pins. Because of the fact that they are shorter, when they are pressed they must be pressed in further than the outter edge of the piston. They will be inset far enough to allow for the lock rings.
Is it still neccesary to use the locks?

Robert

Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob,

No. DO NOT use locks with pressed pins.

Jim