Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM

Default '71 T-37 Trim Question

My T-37 came with a painted white top, and has the same trim as a vinyl top car would.
4 or 5 of the little studs that stick out from the car where your clips / trim fasten have been ground down on one side. Does anyone have an easy fix for this, so I could re-install the trim? I thought about using some epoxy maybe, and just fasten the plastic clip to the body and push the trim on? I want to get this done before painting the car. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. -Derek

Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Picture is of belt mold clip on a firebird but should be similar to what you have. Don't know where to find it but there is a shoulder screw that will replace the stud. They are used alot on windsheild molding clips when studs are broken. Alternative is to pop rivet it on. The good is that your paint guy can finish the area alot easier without the studs in the way. The bad is when you put the rivets in to be very careful on the new paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img0478DOOR.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	161629  

Old 03-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what mine look like. I'll have to play around with it and see what works best. Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use a stud gun to install new studs. But for an easier fix pop rivets or screws would work.

Also I dont think epoxy would work to well,it takes alot to snap the trim on and I think there's a chance the epoxy would give.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can find a local body shop, with a Car-O-Liner or Pro-Spot resistance spot welder, they can install/weld brand new studs in about 30 seconds, with results just like the factory with no warpage...TECHNOLOGY rocks..

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used screw-in replacement studs. Drill a small hole and screw it in. Worked like a champ. But I forget where i got them.

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org