Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:43 AM

Default th350 trans pump replacement?

Is it very hard to do???And how would i go about doing it???

Old 03-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Easy- for me anyway.

Suggestions for a novice;

Stand the transmission pump up. Remove pump bolts. There are 2 threaded holes in the pump under the bolts. Install bolts, use 90 degree "ladies foot" pry bar little by little from one bolt to the other against the case until it's free.

If the pan is off you can; Remove pump bolts. Use a pry bar between the shift shaft casting area and the back of the pump. Use your head, and you won't break anything.

W/ VB removed; There is a window in the worm track to put a flat head under the int. pressure plate. Again use your head, nothing gets damaged.

Why do you need a new pump? Most of the time, if a new pump is needed, other things should be checked. I'm guessing you broke it during installation?

Reinstall;

New square cut outer "o"-ring minimum, & gasket. Use trans assembly lube, or other grease to lube the case pump bore. Lube the o-ring also. Lower the pump, aligning the bolt holes until the bolts will just reach the threads. Install all bolts as far as possible without binding the pump. The "o" ring should be entering the bore. Use a 12-16 oz wooden hammer handle and bump the pump down.

Disclaimer: I can do this all day, it doesn't mean you can. It's hard to remember what the first one was really like...

If you don't damage any rings, or the o-ring you're probably home free. Torque the bolts 18 ft lbs.

Sorry, I need to add, most pumps don't come with the intermediate piston assembly installed. If not, you will need to; Lube seals and bore, use a .010" feeler gauge with the corners knocked off to work the lip seals in. The spring retainer is held by the pump casting bolts. You will need to line up the stator support and pump castings with a large hose clamp, or several put together. Once the clamps are around the assembly and the bolt holes are lined up, torque the bolts 18 ft.lbs. Then install.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com

Last edited by TTS; 03-16-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

More.

Let's talk end play. My 350's are all built with minimal clearance so swapping a pump in one of mine would be major surgery for you. So, lets explore the possibilities.

Remember to install the pump washer/s, bearing, shims etc... That also requires you to install sealing rings. Use your hands, no ring pliers....

You want to install the pump without an O-ring. Just finger tight first...

Then check how far the input shaft can be pulled "up" toward the front. If it's between .009" and .020" BEFORE torquing the bolts you're good. I like somewhere between .005" and .009" after torquing- factory spec max is .020".

With a new gasket, after tightening you will lose between .0035" and .005"

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 03-16-2009, 11:01 AM

okk....well i was just under the car this morn and i was gonna pull the tranny. Then i thinking of checking how far out the torque converter was out and it only had bout 3/16 play between the trans and flywheel...So i was wondering what some other possibilities for my trans not shifting into gear. Where should i run the hose from my vacume modulator??

Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddragoonn View Post
okk....well i was just under the car this morn and i was gonna pull the tranny. Then i thinking of checking how far out the torque converter was out and it only had bout 3/16 play between the trans and flywheel...So i was wondering what some other possibilities for my trans not shifting into gear. Where should i run the hose from my vacume modulator??
3/16 doesn't sound so bad.

Does the manual shaft actually move the manual valve? Maybe the S-link fell off?

Modulator gets manifold vacuum, not ported.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM

Will a 1966 st300 fit on a 1977 400ci......or would i have to use the torque conv. from the st350

Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Will a 1966 st300 fit on a 1977 400ci......or would i have to use the torque conv. from the th350"
...........anyone???

Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would use the TH350 converter. I know a converter that fits a TH350 will fit a TH400, but no idea if that same converter will fit a ST300 input shaft. That's the first thing to determine if you re-used the ST300 converter.

After that, if tranny won't go forward or backward, I'd check line pressure next. This would verify pump operation. No line pressure: shut it down and remove tranny. Running a tranny with no line pressure will kill the tranny, even if car won't move. Line pressure = lube oil pressure inside tranny. It's like running the engine with no oil pump.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 AM

can i use a chevy turbo 350??/

Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM

I had a 68 st300 behind a 76 400 it worked perfectly. I dont know about torq converter interchange between st300 and turbo350.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM

ok it must just be me lol......its just now wanting to line up right then lol