Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Problem with points dwell

I put a used distributor, with new points, in my '69 GTO. I set the dwell to 30 degrees at idle. When I rev the engine a little, the dwell meter needle swings way up. I did try a second set of points and the same thing happened. What could cause this?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dwell should not vary on a Delco distributor. IF it does, it's probably because the mainshaft bushings are wiped out.

Or you have your tach-dwell gauge set to the tach position...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

THINGS TO LOOK FOR:
1. TOP BUSHING WORN, AS SCHURKEY STATED. GRAB CENTER OF SHAFT WHERE THE WEIGHTS ARE AND SEE IF IT HAS ANY SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT.
2. THE PLATE THAT THE POINTS ARE MOUNTED ON ROTATES ON THE DIST. HOUSING, THAT COULD BE WORN (NEVER SEEN ONE THOUGH)
3.ARE THE SCREWS HOLDING POINTS TIGHT (JUST ASKING...)
4. MOST PARTS ARE MARKETED FOR PRICE ONLY. IF THE SPRING IN THE POINT SET ISN'T MADE CORRECTLY, THEY COULD BOUNCE ON THAT CAM THAT OPENS AND CLOSES THE POINTS. BEWARE OF QUALITY ISSUES. THE NAME ON THE BOX MAY NOT BE A GOOD INDICATOR OF THE QUALITY OF THE PARTS
MOST FOLKS KNOCK POINTS, THEY CAN WORK GREAT..

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup exactly what happened to me! I rebuilt my distributor and all was good. A lot of guys warn me about using a points dist. but I'm poor and I don't want to wreck my firewall putting in an Hei so it's points for now with my Crane Hi6. I figure it will have to be checked regularly for bounce and or wear....

Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You dont have to worry about your firewall with the HEI's. I have converted probably 20 cars, mostly 1967,68,69 Firebirds which are alot tighter than a GTO.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I'm wondering what you mean by "swings way up"? Normal dwell is right around 30 degrees; if dwell went up to 45 degrees, the points would be continually closed and the engine would stop (probably would run like crap even at 43-44 degrees).
Tried the dwellmeter on some other engine?

Old 02-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Make sure the wires on the dwell meter are not switched - which will send the meter reading higher with higher RPM. If nothing else, swap the dwell meter wires and see if you still have the problem.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Positive lead from dwell meter to negative post on coil, negative lead from dwell meter to chassies.
1-3 degrees variation of dwell thru the rpm range is considered acceptable.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aside from what others have already mentioned about pitfalls in the dist for the dwell reading, Lots of times one will not actually find any appreciable wear on the plate where it goes around the bushing, if the bushings aren't suspect and the points are well anchored to the plate, I'd disassemble it and remove the cam lobe from the shaft and inspect where the cam pivots on the shaft at the grease band groove on the shaft.

Lots of times over the years this gets dry from no grease here and can cause a potential wear point from lack of slippery stuff doing its job. This one spot alone has caused more than one dist to be "canned" from causing the dwell to dance intermittently.

How many degress dwell variation did you see?