Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Question Fuel Cells

I'm thinking about installing a Fuel cell in my 64 Bonneville. I need to sump the tank but my tank was coated.
It seems like the 16 Gal Summit Fuel Cell is perfect. It comes with a gauge sender. It doesn't have any foam for the ethanol to destroy. It will fit in my trunk with no trouble and I will be able to fuel up on either side of the pump.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Jeff

Old 02-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't add some sheetmetal to the trunk to provide a firewall, if you get hit and the cell ruptures, you're going to take a bath in ~16 gallons of gasoline.

Not recommended.

Either put the fuel cell in the location of the original gas tank; or add welded-in sheetmetal at the front of the trunk area to prevent gasoline entry into the passenger compartment before bolting the fuel cell in place.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeah, there is the fire danger and you also need to ground the filler ring. Also, the bottom of the sump where it sticks thru will require shielding to avoid holes from rocks. And if you ever go to the track be prepared for a hassle from tech. There are quite a few regulations that need to be adhered to, and the interpretation of the rule book varies from nhra guy to nhra guy.

A sump would be MUCH easier.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Suspended

A new stock tank is looking better.. I asked around and they all said the same thing you guys are saying, Too Dangerous...

I'll get a new tank and have it sumped...Trouble is my tank hangs down low..Maybe a bung in the rear?

Last edited by PITTSBURGH 64; 02-21-2009 at 07:37 PM.