Old 02-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Replace core support bushings help

On my 75. I have the motor, radiator, condenser, etc, out. I got a new complete box of Energy Suspension body mounts at a garage sale last year for $5.00. So I'm going to replace the core support bushings with those at this point.

I went in there and took out the core support bolts.
I have the nose and all the fenders still on the car.
How do you get old bushings out? is that hollow thing I see, just a sleeve? Or a sleeved washer like the replacements?
Can you lift carefully on the core support or pry between the frame and core support without scraping the nose on the fenders at the seam?

I searched around a bit and found some info. But mostly on the body bushings.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 02-02-2009, 03:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Haven't done this for a while,but as I recall,once both bolts are out,if you put a long 4 x 4 (NOT a 4wd) under the rad support & carefully/gently raise the rad support slightly and you SHOULD be able just slide the old mounts out & get the new ones back in.

Actually,a 75 should still have a hanging style rad support & in that case you should be able to just use a pry bar to gain enough clearance for bushing replacement.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
if you put a long 4 x 4 (NOT a 4wd)
HAHA
So by prying there, would I be in danger of scraping he nose and fender seams behind the headlights? Or would it mainly push the subframe down..?
Also do i need to drive or pull that hollow shaft out first? It sticks up above the Core support upper surface.
Thank You,

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."

Details here:
Old 02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy View Post
HAHA
So by prying there, would I be in danger of scraping he nose and fender seams behind the headlights? Or would it mainly push the subframe down..?
Also do i need to drive or pull that hollow shaft out first? It sticks up above the Core support upper surface.
Thank You,
The last one I did (about 5 years ago) was a 73 & I WAS able to get the rad support bushings out with using a 3' pry bar & being careful,but the 75 header panel/front bumper ARE integrated & it may not be as simple as the 73 was.

Your header panel is bolted to the fenders & fenders are attached to the rad support top & bottom,so you SHOULD be able to raise every thing just enough to get bushings out.

Might have to loosen bumper bracket bolts at frame.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info buddy. I'll look at it tonight if I get home in time.
But about those Sleeves.... :-) Do the originals look like this? Or are they hollow "tubes"?
The parts book makes it look like they are tubes. If so, I can probably drive them out. If not I'll have to lift a little higher to get the unit to pass between the core support and frame.
Thanks again,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	core support bushing.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	156567  

Work

Details here:
Old 02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original funnels (metal) are similar & are usually rusty & rotten.

It makes for easier removal,but if you are in California,yours are probably still solid.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah these are not rusted through.... dang! I'll take a look tonight. Maybe a saw in there?

Work

Details here: