Old 01-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 79 TA project

Picked this one up today, sorta cheap. Its a 403 with no AC, 2.41 rear, and a short options list on the build sheet. Its missing the Qjet as well as the shaker assembly lower, and the filter housing. Some moron riveted the shaker to the hood and slapped a 650 Holley on it with an adapter plate.

There is some rust, a couple holes in the toe boards, some quarter spots, and a bit on the rear subframe right behind the axle. Nothing major to me, I can fix that pretty easy.

So I have a couple choices here, either way it will be a high compression engine going in it. There is a 455 underway that should make big power and pull from idle no problem, its a monster in the midrange and bottom end. Otherwise I have a set of '69 350 Olds heads that would raise the compression on the 403 with flat tops to the point where I need it to be, some porting and maybe a mill and its there.

I want over 12:1 on whatever I put in it, mainly because this is my mileage test vehicle for my ethanol project. It will look relatively stock, and get a decent rebuild, but it will run on a minimum of E85 but usually home brewed ethanol with 4% water in it, thats called HE100. So I need the compression and it wont see any more gasoline for as long as I own it.

I wont post much in here until I get it back to the shop, and one of the Fords out of the shop. roughly about March or April work will begin in earnest on it, and it will be running by June with a new paint job, all the rust fixed, and some interior work done to make it nice to ride in.

I couldnt have found a more perfect car if I had been looking for precisely this. The only drawback is the bit of rust it has, and that isnt a big deal to me. I have fixed much much worse.

Whats the consensus here in the 77-81 section? 403 or 455? Post up let me know which engine and why. I can go whatever way sounds best.

It had more snow on it when we got there.

The rusty spots you can see easy.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 PM

I think you should throw the 455 in it. Even though you could get a good compression out of the 403 the 455 would have much more. Plus the 455 is built stronger and would be able to withstand more pressure and higher compression. Last but not least .... more power!