Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Default battery drain

I have a very slow battery drain- takes about two or three weeks of sitting before the battery is too low for an engine start. I have tried to measure it at the battery but I can't read anything,I might need a better meter. I have pulled all the fuses but no help. Can the drain be at the alternator or voltage reg? it's a 69 GTO. Thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it can be the alt or reg. Or a bad battery or Anything else. If you can't read a drain at the bat then I suspect a defective battery.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have an aftermarket stereo? They usually have a constant battery draw to keep their memory stored, and I could see one killing the battery in three weeks time.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Take a battery cable loose and hook a test light between cable end and battery terminal. Either cable works (+) positive or (-) negative. Any drain strong enough to pull the battery down, should light up the test light.
Then all you can do is start checking.
If the battery is good and the only drain is something like stereo memory or alarm, it's time to check into one of the small battery tenders. Or, just crank it more often and let the battery build back up.
Letting a car battery go dead or so weak that the engine wont crank, can ruin a regular battery (not deep cycle) in no time at all.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:56 AM
Senior Chief

I agree on using the test light. If it doesnt light up when connected, there is no current draw. This would lead me to think it is the battery with an internal short. Make sure everything is off in the car and the doors are shut when testing. Disconnect the under hood light too.