Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:01 PM

Default Best Rocker Arms for the Street

I have a 455/462 with E-Heads and a XR276HR Comp cam w/Crane Energizer aluminum
full roller rockers. Rockers have about 20,000 miles on them. The other day I spun the motor up to between 5000 and 5500 RPM and subsequently started hearing a ticking noise as if a rocker was out of adjustment. Motor has never been past 5500 RPM. Upon
removing the valve covers, I found a bearing race from one of the rockers lying on the head. The inner wall of this bearing had blown out and the needles were everywhere.
Rocker itself looks like brand new. While I was looking around, I also found another problem. The pins that hold the roller on the tip of the rocker were backing out on about a half dozen or more rockers. Some had backed out to the point that the rollers
were hanging up to the touch. No signs of overheating or oil stavation at all.

1) Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, under what conditions?

2) I have been told by some not to use aluminum rockers on the street as they are
not designed for longevity. Is this accurate?

3) What rocker arm brand and style do you guys recommend? It is being suggested
that I go with crome molly rollers. Is this type offered in a full roller by anyone?

4) What do you guys think about Harland Sharp rollers if I should decide to stick with
aluminum?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got scorpion roller rockers from Paul Spotts, these are the ones he recommended to me for a similar build.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Chief

Do a search like I did. First try Scorpion, you'll find the kind of info you want to hear. Then try for the HS.

John.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just had a pin come out of a Harland Sharp 1.5 with 300 mi. When things like this happens it makes you nervous. Should have went with the Scorpions. These rockers ain't cheap --- just made that way I guess

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I offer PRW Stainless full roller rockers for $235.00. Stiffer material = less flex = less fatigue.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1050goat View Post
I offer PRW Stainless full roller rockers for $235.00. Stiffer material = less flex = less fatigue.
I got a set of those from Ace. Nice looking stuff.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In answer to some of your more specific questions, yes, Crane "Energizer" rockers are "famous" (infamous is more accurate) for NOT being very durable.

Aluminum rockers are known to "work harden". That is, as the aluminum heats up and cools, it changes the sructure of the material over time. It can become brittle. That being said, more modern alloys are much less susceptable (sp?) to that.

For years, Harland Sharpe was THE roller rocker of choce, particularly among those wanting to "spend less". And Pontiac has a "special" relationship with the HS rocker, as it was Pontiac the first ones were designed and produced for, circa 1960.

Scorpion rockers are more rigid than the HS. This gives a more accurate "ratio" when measuring, as there's not nearly as much "deflection" built in. The HS rockers tend to "measure" at about 1.7 or 1.75:1, while actually moving the valve 1.65:1 (or so...). Scorpion is made in USA. It also "fits" under stock covers, for the most part, as well as the HS rockers.

The steel rockers like the aforementioned PRWs, Comp "Pro Magnum" or "Hi Tech" are much stronger, and would be the better choice for a street engine. The Comp offerings, like the Crower stainless rockers, are not "cheap". The PRW is a Chinese "knock-off" of the Comp Pro Magnum. Relax fellas, we sell 'em too!

FWIW

Jim

Old 12-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

the HS rockers i bought in 2001 had some QC issues. also the poly locks are brittle and we have had more than several crack under multiple adjustments.

69 GTO 11:66@114.17 all balls no bottle
406 d-port iron heads 3700lbs all steel
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Ticking noise/ Pontiac Gregg

What valve springs do you have on it?

Pontiac Gregg

Old 12-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are using the PRW's steel full rollers in our new engine. I've checked the valve lash at least 3 times and inspected the rocker arms and so far they are fine.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post

For years, Harland Sharpe was THE roller rocker of choce, particularly among those wanting to "spend less". And Pontiac has a "special" relationship with the HS rocker, as it was Pontiac the first ones were designed and produced for, circa 1960.

FWIW

Jim
Damn 1960s, Jim you always have some cool info....

Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Rocker arms/Pontiac Gregg

The stainless steel rocker are REAL HEAVY, lots of reciprocating weight, need to run heavier valve springs to compensate= some horsepower lost.
I offer FORGED aluminum rockers, BIG bearing trunions with BIG side retainers and clips.
Fully rebuildable( That costs more to make, higher quality) Big roller tip with big cross pin diameter, can handle 600 lbs.
$180.00 with poly locks and ARP 7/16" rocker studs ! 1 year warranty !

Pontiac Gregg
1-303-776-0877

Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OINK 1 View Post
The stainless steel rocker are REAL HEAVY, lots of reciprocating weight, need to run heavier valve springs to compensate= some horsepower lost.
I offer FORGED aluminum rockers, BIG bearing trunions with BIG side retainers and clips.
Fully rebuildable( That costs more to make, higher quality) Big roller tip with big cross pin diameter, can handle 600 lbs.
$180.00 with poly locks and ARP 7/16" rocker studs ! 1 year warranty !

Pontiac Gregg
1-303-776-0877
Greg:

The rockers may be heavier but the weight is concentrated around the fulcrum and stud. The pushrod end and roller tip are considerably smaller and have minimally, if any, more "reciprocating weight" than aluminum rockers. But they are definitely stronger.

JMO, Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up FWIW:

I run and sell Harland Sharp rockers. A quality product. Actually the first company to market and sell roller rockers way back in the day.

Have a set on the wifes car with over 30,000 miles after i ran them on a race roller cam combo.