Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

Default Anybody here experienced putting on car shows???

We're putting on a local show soon that looks like it's going to be pretty big. We could use someone with some technical advice.

If you're pretty experienced with putting on car shows, would you please email me at dixiemusclecars@charter.net ?

We just need some pro input and advice.

Thanks!

www.dixiemusclecars.com
The Southeast's only online Community dedicated to the American Muscle Car!

2006 PBM GTO LS2
1995 Arctic White Trans Am LT1
1981 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car
1969 Gold Poly Firebird w/400
Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Senior Chief

I'm not experienced at putting on car shows, but am at trade shows so if there's any questions regarding the handling of vendors, etc, I will do my best to answer.

I will advise you check your liability insurance. I read something some time ago about an innocent club show at whcih a child got backed over and the liability fell on the club members as there was no official club liability policy in place. Scary.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the show is affiliated with POCI I believe you can use the Club liability insurance. Check with TININDN / Dave B. here on the board, he's the president of POCI and is probably our resident expert on how to run a big car show.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are 2 things you need to do before putting on a car show. 1) Make sure the car club is incorporated so that if anything happens, the club can be sued and not the members. 2) Make sure you have lots of liability insurance to cover anything like that happening. From the car club I belonged to and all the work involved in putting on a quality show it's not worth it. Take the money that you were going to use to put on the show in a bond or something and draw a little interest. If you count all the man-hours involved compared to the money you get out of it, you're making way less than $1 an hour, might even be way in the hole. Then you can never make everyone happy with your judging or choices. One of our members came up with a great idea for a car show. Buy 150 small trophies and pass them out the the first 150 registered cars that show up. Then you don't have to have judges or count votes. You can get right down to the fun of sitting at a car show.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could say that Im heavily involved in The Indian Uprsing here in Chicago. Its a big show with about 350 Pontiacs annualy. What info are you looking for??

Id be glad to help any way I can

Old 10-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And do something in advance to control the A-holes that insist on throwing leaflets all over the interiors of the show cars advertising every Tom, Dick and Harry car show and/or snake oil wax!

Our cars get treated like waste receptacles at alot of shows!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM

sent pm
Pontiac Slim

Old 10-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our local POCI chapter has at least 2 shows a year. Before it was upwards of 4. The money went to the chapter to exist.It is a lot of work for the 'volunteers' not to be negative it is rewarding seeing the cars and good people.If the workers don't want to work you will have problems esp with the judging.Ours were 99% judged.The President and his wife 'WORKED' they did the flyers at their-her printing business.I did it for 6-8 yrs,now with the fuel I haven't been to a show in few years.I'm busy at home and I'd sooner race. Still the $-fuel costs are prohibitive.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up T shirt vendors are a MUST HAVE at car shows........

Make sure you have T shirt vendors, LOL. Every car show absolutely needs them. I might be a little prejudiced here though.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated