Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Drive Shaft Play?

Hey guys,

I just took my 1970 GTO in to have my flexplate replaced bc/ it was cracked and began making an awful clacking noise, not unlike a loud valve tap. The technician who pulled the transmission said that he thinks I have the wrong driveshaft as well, which may have caused the cracked flexplate. I think it is the original shaft, but he says there is supposed to be some fore and aft play in it, but currently there is none. I have never heard this before, and I think he's blowing smoke up my ass. The Torque converter bolts were tightened only months ago by this same shop, and I think they may have tightened them past spec, causing an early fatigue failure of the plate. Let me know what you think! Thank for your help.

-Joe

Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A cracked flexplate is ALMOST always due to improper installation. If they were the last ones to touch it,it is most likely their fault it cracked anyway.
Yes,A driveshaft has to have some foreward and back movement where it slips into the back of the tranny,but if yours is original it would be fine. Had the rear end,yolks,tranny been replaced recently?
My first guess is they dropped the ball,and are now "blowing smoke",as you guessed.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where you can run into this is having a 4spd drivshaft on a TH400, it is too long (by about 1/2 inch or so), pounds the tranny when you bottom the rear suspension.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have noticed that the drive shaft has about 1.5 inches of in/out room at the trans. when the car is sitting on level ground. When the car is on the lift the space is reduced to 1/8" making it hard to get the shaft in and out. So i guess it is best to take it out where the rear end is supported - gives you more room to get it out.