Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Parts store "HELP'' section p/w switch, how to make it work?

I need to replace the p/w switch in both of my '78s. The local parts store sells those HELP switches for like $26. The pins on the back are in a different configuration than a stock piece. Im pretty sure the factory part had a 5 pin set up and the new ones are 6. The plastic clip is melted anyways from where the old one went bad so I'm not afraid to hook up the wires individually. Just not sure what goes where and will it work?

Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 AM

You can make it work...but its for a different wiring configuration. The help switch has an extra wire for a ground. The later style switch and motors swap polarity when they go from up to down, ect. The 78 style windows only use a hot wire as the motor is grounded to the door.
If you need a new pigtail, buy 1 for a 63-67 corvette, it plugs right up to the 78 switch. Wires on the vette go down instead of out the side, but to me that is a better design anyway.

Dennis

77 Macho 5, 79 Macho Turbo 22
78 W72 Y88 79 W72 W66 W50