Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Carb floods after shut down

Strange problem - My rebuilt 2GC carb floods after shut down. Gas flows out the venturi cluster onto the throttle plates. Has anyone seen this? Any suggestions how to fix? The problem was there before and after the carb was rebuilt.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Suspended

sounds to me like a needle and seat problem.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:30 PM

I think your right. When I take off the gas inlet fitting on the carb, there is debris in there. I'm not using the gas filter in the carb. The problem was intermittent before and after the carb rebuild. I think my fuel lines may be full of debis. I recently placed a filter by the tank and I have an in-line filter before the carb. The fuel pump is new. This car ('67 LeMans) has been sitting for a long time.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With a 2bbl, I'm guessing that your not racing the car. You need to use the factory filter or plan on having regular problems.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Flooded all the time using the original mechanical fuel pump (with built-in checkvalve) on my 1966 TriPower GTO.
Underhood temperatures with shutoff engine made the fuel in hose between pump and carbs exceed 20psi, needless to say, the inlet valves were not able to stay shut at that pressure.
Now running a Carter P4070 5 psi electric fuel pump mounted at fuel tank, no more flooding at shut off engine, and this pump keeps float bowls filled at WOT all the way thru third gear....

Old 08-16-2008, 08:13 PM

thanks for the comments.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Suspended

I once worked for the local Dodge dealer in Porteville, CA., as a part-time tune up technician. Basically, since we had the only distributor machine in town at the time, they farmed out all their carb and distributor work to our shop. We had a Thermo-Quad on 1977 Dodge Monaco (Tulare County Sheriff's Car) that started doing the same thing shortly after the dealer installed a rebuild kit.

I traced the problem to an incorrectly placed paper gasket under the needle's seat, where an aluminum/rubber washer should have been.

The paper washer absorbed fuel like the wick in a lantern...Robert

Old 09-06-2008, 02:59 PM

PSI was normal. I found debris in the needle/seat area today. Thanks for the help.